Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't login, and no safe mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shazain

shazain

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

I work with higher functioning persons with special needs. One of my guys just got a new game, and one of the other guys wants to put it on his computer as well. He hasn't used his computer in a long time, (loves his ps3) and doesnt remember his password. Im pretty sure I could do this for him several ways, but when I try to get to a safe mode command prompt I still have to login which I can't. I tried a ophcrack last night (which is basically a startup disk with a brute force hack) and pass was not found. But seen there was an admin which was disabled. Is there a way I can enable admin or boot to a promt without being able to login? I have found some boot disk for money (I really want to help the guy, but don't get paid enough to want to pay for it). I have got kon-boot,that I plan on trying tonight,which will supposedly remove the password, but who knows if it will work. If it doesn't, I would really like a backup plan. Thank you for you time for reading, and help if you can!

Also, he said it didn't come with a disk, so even if I go to repair my pc it still wanted me to login with his account, so even if I wanted to restore I can't.

Edited by shazain, 17 June 2015 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechyToolkit

TechyToolkit

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Well this is what i would do from the top of my head:

Download a Linux Distro, use Yumi or something to create a bootable USB

Boot the USB and LInux

Find the Windows partition and navigate to the /windows/system32 folder 

Copy cmd.exe to cmd2.exe

Then rename sethc.exe to sethc.exe.bak

then rename cmd2.exe to sethc.exe

The exit and restart 

at login tap shift 5 times and it will open a cmd box with admin rights 

type "net user [thepersonsusername] [yournewpassword]" 

E.g "net user user thisismypassword"

then press enter and it will replace the password of that user

If you dont know the username exactly just type "net user" first and it display the users.

I hope this helps 

Edited by TechyToolkit, 17 June 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#3 shazain

shazain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

Thats actually what I planned to do when I got to a command prompt. Linux is alien to me, and never though of using it to boot. Thumbs up brother, and thanks so much!

#4 TechyToolkit

TechyToolkit

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:12 AM

Thats actually what I planned to do when I got to a command prompt. Linux is alien to me, and never though of using it to boot. Thumbs up brother, and thanks so much!

No problem. Hope it helped.

#5 shazain

shazain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

Did it last night for him, and it worked great. He was very happy when he got up today. Thanks again

#6 TechyToolkit

TechyToolkit

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

Did it last night for him, and it worked great. He was very happy when he got up today. Thanks again

Excellent man... glad all went well. Have a great day

#7 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hello Techy,

After your fix is applied to gain access, would you need to go back into system32 folder to undo any changes? 

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#8 TechyToolkit

TechyToolkit

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:58 PM

Well to be safe I would advise changing back as someone else could try it. But tbh if it was a customer who forgets there password alot then I would leave it in place.

#9 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

Thank you, Techy!  I appreciate the advice.  I guess I would put it back as it was.  I don't like to leave doors open.  Excellent information! 

Edited by MarkMCS, 21 June 2015 - 03:30 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users