Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I just swap hard drives?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ba_50

ba_50

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

My Dell 4600 with XP died. I have a Compaque Presario SR1500nx with XP. If I swap them will it work? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hi ba_50 :)

This won't work. Or rather, it can work, but you're going to mess up your whole Windows XP that way. To sum it up, you're going to put a hard drive with a Windows XP installation, and Compaq Presario SR1500nx drivers in a Dell 4600 computer. Knowing that drivers are the first thing to load when an OS boot, in that case Windows XP, what do you think will happen when Windows will try to load the drivers it have, and see that the devices on the computer doesn't match any of them? It'll BSOD, and this in a loop. So you can swap hard drives, yes, but you'll have to reinstall Windows XP on that drive.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

I agree with Aura, this won't work.  And even if it did manage to boot (which very occasionally does work), Windows would need to be re-activated as the activation is linked to the CPU and other hardware.  So you'd be best reinstalling fresh.

#4 ba_50

ba_50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

I figured it would be to easy, but had to ask. Thanks.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

No problem ba_50, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

It may work. It's more possible than you think. I have xp pro gaming setup that has, since at least 2005 been through 5 motherboards with different chipsets, (and HDD where necessary) and is still going today 2 repair installs were required out of the 5.Point is, you may suffer no more inconvenience than installing alternative drivers.

If it blue screens, run an in-place repair installation. You will lose the updates and have to reinstall those. Otherwise, not a big deal. Better than a fresh start IMO.

For safety's sake, you can either:

Add a partition to your current drive, and image that drive to the new partition.. Or Image your current drive to the target machine if you're not bothered about what the target machine contains.

If you want to keep the target machine OS, do the same to that drive. If you have spare drives anyway, just image to those.

Yeah, activation is a bummer. Mines a corp licence.

Edited by Mike.Tech, 17 June 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

Mike Tech:

Sorry But I felt the need to reply to your post.  Of course it may work but all the chipset drivers /video/audio/nic are going to be intended for that other computer.  Not to mention that he would need a full version of windows to be able to reinstall the OS .. don't you think this may be a bit too much trouble for a lay person already asking if it is possible?  I just feel like your not doing this OP any favors by implying that ' SURE IT WILL WORK' when it most certainly will not be that easy.  Not to mention most of us don't have corporate activation licenses.

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2015 - 10:27 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#8 ba_50

ba_50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

It's over my head that's for sure. Bob

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

It would be impossible as you probably have OEM XP on both computers and the activation cannot be moved between computers. Your best chance to salvage the computer is to put a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint on it but from the specs of the computer, you would need to bump up the RAM to at least 1GB. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#10 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, activation is a bummer. Mines a corp licence.

Sorry But I felt the need to reply to your post.  Of course it may work but all the chipset drivers /video/audio/nic are going to be intended for that other computer.  Not to mention that he would need a full version of windows to be able to reinstall the OS .. don't you think this may be a bit too much trouble for a lay person already asking if it is possible?  I just feel like your not doing this OP any favors by implying that ' SURE IT WILL WORK' when it most certainly will not be that easy.  Not to mention most of us don't have corporate activation licenses.

As long as they don't interfere, the present drivers have no impact.

Well tbh, I don't think it's too much. The OP wanted info, he got it. His choice to act or not.
I was a lay person 'till I knew how to do it. Don't get me wrong, but are you here to mollycoddle, or to advise objectively?

Please be accurate with your quote. I never implied "' SURE IT WILL WORK'". I stated it may. I also stated provisos.

XP can still be activated as I recall. Yes, it's a nuisance, (hence my 'bummer' statement, which I added later) but it's still valid, why should it be a problem?

The OP has now stated it's too much, and that's fine, but other readers may find it useful, engage the comments and further their knowledge. I see no reason to question anything.

It's intended to be constructive, but take it as you wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users