Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I have both Windows 10 and Windows 7 installed?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

I am very satisfied with Windows 7 and have used it for a long time. I never changed to Windows 8 (nor to Vista for that matter).

Is there a way I could be able to choose whether to boot from Windows 7 or Windows 10 and keep my same programs?

Surely some programs will come out with added features if you install with Windows 10, but I believe they will basically remain the same.

The idea is to test the better, or worse, interaction when using your favorite or most used programs.

I am aware Windows 7 will fade out, but that didn´t stop me from using XP until something better than Vista appeared in the market.

If it were possible to keep both Win7 and Win10, and be able to boot from any of these, what should I do?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NvSCpdXSigwdie2ty2tFaqP

Thank you very much for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hi passacaglia :)

It's possible to "dual boot" Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the same drive, however you'll have to reinstall your programs on Windows 10 since most of them needs to be written in the Registry in order to work and launching them from the Windows 7 partition won't work. Also, Windows 10 is still a technical preview, it's not totally stable yet so if you are to dual-boot both Windows, I suggest you to back-up all your data first or do a system image of your Windows 7 partition just in case.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hi passacaglia,

One can expect anything that runs on W7 SP1 to run on W10.  When the GA is released & you Upgrade to 10 what you have/had in 7 will be preserved & carried over.

However, w/ the beta Builds, whether you dual-boot or create a VM the programs you have in W7 will have to be installed in W10.  As I said, expect what runs on 7 to run on 10.

Do not overwrite your W7 until the GA for W10 is available.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 18 June 2015 - 03:42 AM.

#4 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hi Aura

Thanks for your reply. I have a system image of my Win7 in a external HDD. I also have the installers for all programs I use in the internal HDD but not in the system partition. All the OS is in the C: partition and all my software installers are in the E: partition. The Downloads folder also is in the D: partition. This is the default folder for all of my browser downloads and all my torrent downloads. I also have system backups in the D: partition.

Pictures, videos and music are in external HDDs..

I will follow your advice to wait a bit before the dual boot. Regardless, I would like to know how you do this.

Thank you very much.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

There's a lot of tutorials that shows you how to dual-boot. For instance, the ones on dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will also work with Windows 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425418,00.asp

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Drew

I'm really a novice, so I don't know the meaning of GA and a VM I shoudl think refers to a virtual partition or something like it. However, by your advice I better do nothing until the thing is final. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks.

But when the time comes I'll need someone to guide me by the hand.

Also, thank you very much Aura for your continued support.

Edited by passacaglia, 17 June 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

GA stands for General Availability and VM stands for Virtual Machine.

No problem, you're welcome!

Edited by Aura., 17 June 2015 - 12:10 PM.

unite_blue.png

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Drew

I'm really a novice, so I don't know the meaning of GA and a VM I shoudl think refers to a virtual partition or something like it. However, by your advice I better do nothing until the thing is final. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks.

But when the time comes I'll need someone to guide me by the hand.

Also, thank you very much Aura for your continued support.

GA stands for General Availability referring to the Final released edition.  VM stands for Virtual Machine.
No, you don't need to wait for July 29th.  You can run the Beta Builds, NOW, but, they must be run on a spare computer or as a dual-boot or as a VM.  You cannot overwrite your current Operating System until the Final (GA) is released on July 29th.

Sorry it took me a moment to answer the question you put to me; just a bit busy & multitasking.

Happy to help you going forward, explain anything & answer all the additional questions you may have.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 17 June 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#9 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

Most kind of you Drew.

I think that, with the little knowledge I have, it's best for me to wait until July 29.

Hope I can find you then for some lessons.

All the best,

passacaglia

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

Most kind of you Drew.

I think that, with the little knowledge I have, it's best for me to wait until July 29.

Hope I can find you then for some lessons.

All the best,

passacaglia

passacaglia,

Quite sure you can expect to find me.  And it would be my pleasure.  Of anything I do or can offer teaching & helping people discover & learn is probably the aspect of my job as an IT services company owner, when it comes up, that I enjoy the most & find the most rewarding.

Has always been a pet peeve, 'IT Pros' that may fix things but, don't enlighten or explain. "Education begets empowerment" (Drew), I have always felt.

So, sure, consider yourself signed up for lessons :thumbup2:  :busy:   Doesn't take much or long w/ Win10, it's easy.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 17 June 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#11 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:03 PM

If your computer's hard disk has adequate free disk space, you can install more than one operating system, and then choose which one to use when you start your computer. This is called a multi-boot or dual-boot configuration, and it requires partitions on your hard disk.

Upgrading replaces your old Windows operating system with a newer version. Setting up a multi-boot system installs another operating system alongside your current operating system so that you can use either operating system.

Drawbacks of multi booting

Multi booting requires separate partitions on your computer's hard disk for each operating system. If you're running one operating system, you can't run a program installed on another operating system. You'll need to install programs on each operating system that you want to use them in. You must restart your computer each time you want to switch to a different operating system.

You also need to install the oldest operating system first, which can be frustrating if you want to add an earlier operating system (for example, you're currently running Windows 7, but you want to add Windows Vista or Windows XP ).

hope this would help you.

Edited by NatalieGreen, 17 June 2015 - 11:04 PM.

#12 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

I am very satisfied with Windows 7 and have used it for a long time. I never changed to Windows 8 (nor to Vista for that matter).

Is there a way I could be able to choose whether to boot from Windows 7 or Windows 10 and keep my same programs?

Surely some programs will come out with added features if you install with Windows 10, but I believe they will basically remain the same.

The idea is to test the better, or worse, interaction when using your favorite or most used programs.

I am aware Windows 7 will fade out, but that didn´t stop me from using XP until something better than Vista appeared in the market.

If it were possible to keep both Win7 and Win10, and be able to boot from any of these, what should I do?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NvSCpdXSigwdie2ty2tFaqP

Thank you very much for your help.

You can backup the applications to an external hard drive, and then recover them to the new system.

In this way, no reinstallation is needed. 

As I know, a pc transfer software can do the job well. Like this free one, http://www.easeus.com/tutorial/pctrans-free-user-guide.html.

Just install it on both Win 7 and Win 10, and then transfer the applications between them.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

Nathalie, if you are to give copy/pasted answers, at least provide the source and use quotes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

unite_blue.png

#14 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

Hi Drew,

I am looking forward to those lessons, so don't disappear on me please. And thanks again for your good will.

Natalie,

It may have been a copy and paste job but anything helps. Thank you

Bailiifei

I have enough space in one external HDD. I don't know exactly what I have to transfer (program files ??) but when the time calls i'll cry for help and hope you're available. Thanks a heap.

#15 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:48 AM

Sure, but it has numbers of bugs, and there are many features that don't work. As such it's not recommended to use it as your primary operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users