Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot stop USB drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

I just bought a WD 2 TB Passport USB drive to use for the Carbonite Mirror Image backup feature on my Win XP system.

The initial backup just finished. Now I want to disconnect the drive from the USB port, but it shows busy (drive LED flashing). With my previous USB drive, an old Iomega 465 GB drive, I would right-click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the task bar. When I try that with this drive, I get a Stop a Hardware Device dialog showing four entries, all related to the D drive. (See attached screen shot.) I used to see only 1 for the Iomega.

I tried stopping each of the four "devices", but they all say that it cannot be stopped right now and to try later.

So how do I safely remove this drive? I've shut down Carbonite, but it still won't let me stop it and the disk LED keeps blinking.

This is a solid state drive. There are no moving parts, so I can't cause a head crash. Can I just unplug it? It's powered by the USB port.

Thanks

Attached Files

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

I have a HP portable made by WD. It had included software that put a virtual CD drive on the computer when attached and that would mess with backup software. I had to disable the Virtual Drive in Device Manager. Look in computer for another drive other than the WD. Right Click and then eject it. Then try ejecting the WD drive.

If you do not have a virtual drive eject the WD SeS device first then the drive. For an explanation of SeS see this thread.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

My Computer shows 4 drives, the same 4 I have had for years: C: (hard disk), D: (the new WD drive for the mirror image backup), E: (my DVD-RW drive), & Z: (something for my Epson printer). Right-clicking the D drive does not offer an eject option.

Then I tried your suggestion of stopping the SeS drive first, even though thought I had already tried that. It worked. I'm not sure what I did wrong before.

Thanks for that.

Just to try it again, I unplugged the device (no error messages) and then plugged it in again. I immediately got the Found New Hardware Wizard dialog. (See attached screen shot.) The WD manual specifically says not to allow Windows to search for a driver. It says the device will automatically install the correct driver. So when I connected it initially, I canceled the New Hardware wizard. The mirror image backup worked perfectly.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I let Windows search for a driver? If not, how do I get it to stop asking me every time I plug it in?

Attached Files

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

I think Windows is trying to find a driver for the SES device. Maybe that is why WD says to not allow it. WD wants you to install the SES driver from WD. 

You can download the SES driver here. You images look like XP so I would have to assume you are using 32bit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#5 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:06 AM

There are several reasons to USB being undismountable:

It's in use. Please note that if you're looking at the disk in Explorer, then it's in use!

Windows is finishing copying a big file to or from the disk (rarely the reason)

A bug in Windows causes conime.exe to get stuck on the disk (it may safely be killed)

If the USB drive is formatted as NTFS, the journal of all file updates may still be open

If disk indexing is on for the drive, Windows may be furiously indexing all files on it

--------------

Make sure the USB drive is not defined as indexed.
Wait, and then try again. It might work a few seconds later on.

If that doesn't work, you can simply shut down your computer--not hibernate it or put it in sleep mode--but shut it down completely. That always works, but it takes time and interrupts your workflow.

Edited by AlicePhoebe, 19 June 2015 - 02:08 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Don't unplug it!  Unplugging can damage data not disks, shut down then unplug.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users