Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gapless Audio Playback Without Shutting Off The Computer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

I really wanted to give Linux my support but so far I have not found an audio playback program that will playback my audio files with;

1. Zero processing at full 24 bit 96 kHz

2. Gapless playback of all audio files

3. Lets my computer playback audio files for days on end without shutting down my computer

Is there any program that will allow this? Otherwise it is back to Windows for me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:47 AM

It may help if we had a few more details.  For instance, hardware specs, version of Linux distribution, what programs have you used, is your output source speakers or another device (perhaps bluetooth speakers?)

As for myself:

1.  Exactly what do you mean "zero processing"?  Regardless of the source of the data, there is always processing.  Read bits from disk/network, perform any decoding needed, push to audio codec:  this is all processing.

2.  Gapless playback do you mean "I gave the application a list of files to play, I don't want to hear any silence in between them" (like the silence between track on LPs)?  "all audio files" do you mean all formats of audio files or "all the files in the list given to the application"

3.  Does the computer shut down or does it crash?  Is there any indications in the syslog about what went wrong?

Folks would like to help, but it gets hard to help when the information has to get dragged out.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

# 3   You can leave a Linux system running as long as you like ...where as I wouldn't run a windows system for too long,   you would have to set your power controls etc of course to stop it hibernating or whatever

# 2  i guess that depends on what client you are using to play them !!!! I have Clementine on at the moment and you can run automatic and adjust the fade in and out i believe...you probably have more choices on some other audio players.

# 1 Have no idea what your talking about on that question.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

I have tried Audacious audio and Banshee audio. I have a brand new home made machine with a Haswell i5 4690 CPU. Using the different audio programs in Linux, the machine goes to sleep after about 10 or 15 minutes. I do not want to go into any weird menus to set up a different system, I just want to play a couple of hours of music without my machine shutting off. Also, I need gapless playback because I have about 400 gb of Grateful Dead concerts stored on my hard drive. I need to be able to play these back without a gap between songs. Also, within Windows I have always used WASAPI to playback my music files. The out put at the USB is exactly what the file contains, there is zero processing. The output is bit perfect to the file. I have an outboard DAC that converts all of my music audio streams. I have played with Linux for almost a month and those are the three features that I really need. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

"... the machine goes to sleep after about 10 or 15 minutes.    without my machine shutting off..."

Is it shutting off or going to sleep?  Either way you'll likely have to change the power management settings;  every distribution has started defaulting to more "green" power settings.  Exploring that is trivial.

"gapless":  have you tried to see if there is a way to increase the buffering on whatever application you are using?  Increase the buffering should reduce/eliminate any gaps.

How do you know the Linux audio is not pushing out the bits exactly the same as they are in the file?   Have you actually captured the output of the USB port with an analyzer and compared it to the same capture under Windows?

The simple answer is that if Linux can't give you what you want out of the box (it sounds like you don't want to put a lot of effort into figuring things out) then stick with Windows.

I don't have any other answers for you, I'm still using my Victrola and 78s.  I'd guess that asking in a more audiophile forum would lead you to what you want.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

I will keep on trying. I do not know very much about using terminal, but maybe that might offer some options. The gapless playback thing is essential and so far I have not acomplished this. I listen to a lot of 24 bit 96 khz music that streams at 4,800 kbps and I have not found a bit perfect way to output that in Linux. There is a thread over at the Linux Mint forum and a couple of other audiophiles have expressed the same concerns about these issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

Have you investigated music-centric distros like Ubuntu Studio, or perhaps even Dyne:bolic, (although that is dormant at its 2011 release)?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

No I have not. I will do some study on those other distros. Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thank you very much for all your replys. I did not want to change my power management settings, I just assumed that having a program running would leave the system on as in Windows. With my audio programs in Windows, if I create a 2 hour music program, an 8 hour music program or a two day music program, that is how long the system stays awake running my program, then it goes straight to sleep after the last song plays. Is that possible with a program in Linux Mint?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the Ubuntu Studio recommendation. I spent a lot of time exploring the forum and website and see that it is for creators, not for playback. I have heard of a Linux distro for multi-media playback, but right now I forget which it is. Thanks again.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the Ubuntu Studio recommendation. I spent a lot of time exploring the forum and website and see that it is for creators, not for playback. I have heard of a Linux distro for multi-media playback, but right now I forget which it is. Thanks again.

I would imagine content creators expect their music to play back exactly how they require, it would be rather pointless if they had to find another distro to play back with...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

You are obviously correct about that. I will explore that Ubuntu Studio some more. Thanks again.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

#2    Not sure but I think most players support gapless playback.
#3    A few Audio Players can inhibit suspend (gmusicbrowser, Cantata...)

On some players, to enable/disable those functions, you have to change its Preferences.

For those programs that cannot prevent suspend by themselves you can use Caffeine (adding them to the Caffeine list).

#1    Check if this helps:

​Bit Perfect Audio from Linux

Audiophile sound on Linux

​In another thread you where looking for a foobar2000 alternative. You can try DeaDBeeF.

​foobar2000 can run with Wine, and some users tried to get some desktop integration. Haven't tried it.

Edited by nuna, 21 August 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Well I am back to this thread. So far I have not found a suitable player for Linux, there are just too many issues with audio playback in Linux. I have been at this Linux thing now for less than a year, and I have tried a lot of different distros and worked with a lot of different Linux applications, and nothing compares to the bit perfect playback in Windows. A few things that I have learned are;

1. Audio in Linux basically sucks. There is really no bit perfect way to playback audio files with Linux. Here is a very brief outline of what I have experienced. http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained

In Microsoft Windows I use WASAPI to playback audio files, and it is 100% bitperfect. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd371455%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

2. KDE Linux distros sound the worse. Take any basic audio player like Audacious or VLC, in a Cinnamon or basic distro they have only minimal processing layers that add distortion to the audio playback, but with KDE there are additional layers that render all sound distorted.

3. Arch Linux based distros add the least amount of audio processing.

4. AVLinux http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=avlinux and Ubuntu Studio https://ubuntustudio.org/ sucked for audio playback. They just added too many layers of gunk on top of the kernal that just added too much distortion to the audio.

So I found a different Linux distro that claims that it offers bit perfect audio playback, it called Audiophile Linux http://www.ap-linux.com/about/ I really want to try, I have already downloaded the ISO, but it needs an entire disc for me to install it. http://www.ap-linux.com/documentation/install-instructions-for-v3-0/  I do not know if I want to commit to that just yet because I still use Windows 10 in WASAPI mode to playback my music, but I just might give it a try.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

Rocky, not sure if you came across this in your google travels while trying to figure our your issue... but check out post #2. It is a few years old, so maybe some of the settings changed a bit. But you might give that a shot and see how it goes.

I was going to check out the ap-Linux, but it won't load for some reason.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users