Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Graphics Card Should I Choose for My Low Budget Build?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

My old computer finally died out on me and I had a very minimal budget to build my new computer (although now I'm just going to go over budget at this point). I'm looking for a graphics card and need suggestions in terms of quality of card, compatibility, and if there's enough wattage from my power supply unit.

Computer Specs:

PSU: 520W Seasonic S12II 520 BRONZE, SS-520GB  Power Supply (Not currently in the rig, but I'm going to go over budget and purchase this with the graphics card).
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Klevv Neo DDR3
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Graphics Cards I am Considering:

(Highly considering number 1 here, the other two are more of a point of reference on my price range and willingness to downgrade my purchase. I'm wondering though if my system can handle the 4GB and superclocking though.)

2. Radeon XFX Core Edition Radeaon R7 240 2GB DDR3 PCI Express (approx. $90)
3. PNY GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 64 Bit Low Profile (approx. $80)

First, I am open to other suggestions of graphics cards and or places where I might be able to find them cheaper.
Second, I'm worried I might pick a card that won't physically fit in terms of height, width, and depth.

I'm going to play video games on my computer, but nothing intense. Most the games I'm going to play are at least five years old and I don't mind running them on the low settings.

So, I need some thoughts and suggestions. Does the PSU go well and have enough wattage to go with the any of the graphics cards I've listed? I'm really hoping to get a graphics card in at least the performance range of the GT 740, but if that cards not compatibility in some way I can go with others cards (even lower rated if necessary).

Edited by Lxno78, 17 June 2015 - 12:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

Either should work.  Having 4Gb won't use any more power, but it won't do any good either on a card like that.  This is because such large amounts of memory are only useful with very high resolutions, high detail levels etc, which is really beyond what a GT 740 can achieve.  I would say If you are going to spend $100 on a graphics card the GTX 750 is far better than the GT740.  It's also has very low power requirements.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42754kr - This a 2Gb OC version, but note the price is an offer including a "rebate".

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7070610m - This is a 1Gb version with a clean price of $99. Don't worry about 1Gb, it will easily outperform a GT 740 4Gb..

An alternative is the AMD R7-260X, which is faster than either, but uses more power. Can be had for under $100 with rebate, e.g. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r7260xoc2gd5

If these are over budget then an R7-250X is worth looking at compared to a GT740.  Can be picked up from about $80 (less if taking account of rebates). This sits between the GT 740 and GTX 750 in terms of performance, with the usual AMD trade off of being more power hungry. Example - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr7250x1gbd5he

Your Seasonic 520w PSU would be fine for any of these, and could handle significantly higher end cards.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 June 2015 - 04:31 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thank you! This is super helpful! I think that the GeForce GTX 750 is the one I'm going to go with.

I have a few follow up questions.

The Zotac GeForce GTX 750 1 GB found here on Amazon says it's price is $146.78, but when added to the cart is $99 (EDIT: Never mind, there is a third link I clicked here which is for $99, same thing, but out of stock order when available.)

and

The Zotac GeForce GTX 750 1 GB found here on Amazon goes for $114.99 (price stays the same when added to the cart).

Is there any difference between those two cards other than the price? Should I be worried that one is a scam or are they both legit?

One last question, considering my specs (listed in OP) would I bottleneck somewhere other than the graphics card and not get maximum usage out of the GTX 750? (In other words, if my computer is going to bottleneck should I go with the cheaper R7-250X?)

Again, thank you!

Edited by Lxno78, 17 June 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

The price issue with the first one is because Amazon themselves is selling it for $99 (but showing as out of stock) while a Marketplace seller is pricing it at $146.78.

I'm not 100% on what the difference is, but it looks like different port configurations.  Otherwise the specs look identical.  They have different part numbers.

First one: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDMI DVI DisplayPort Graphics Card ZT-70706-10M

Second one: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card ZT-70701-10M

I don't think any of these GPU's will be 'bottlenecked' by the CPU. Here's a comparison of R7-250X vs GTX 750 benchmarks if its any help - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1126?vs=1131

Edited by jonuk76, 17 June 2015 - 11:13 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

I don't think any of these GPU's will be 'bottlenecked' by the CPU.

Cool!  :)

So I went with the Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI. Now, just waiting for it to arrive.

Thank you for helping me out. I might actually play a few newer games now lol.

#6 Greenbeen2

Greenbeen2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

you should go with the 750ti its an amazing card and Its great for gaming medium-high settings on 1080p.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users