Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird fps drops while gaming.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jomberiini

jomberiini

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:03 AM

I have started to recently get weird fps drops out of nowhere while playing call of duty world at war on my laptop. I was able to play the game jsut fine with no problems for half a year. I have had this checked and they said theres nothing wrong in it and its not overheating.

specs:

cpu: intel i5-4210u

gpu: geforce 840m

ram: 8gb ddr3

One thing i have noticed while playing is that the cpu usage when the fps drop happens drops with it from being about 30% usage to under 10% usage. Gpu usage stays at 99% all the time while gaming.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JordanWolf

JordanWolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hi Jomberiini!

If you don't mind can you tell me what operating system you are running as well as whether or not it is 32-bit or 64-bit? If you could also tell me whether or not your system is overclocked in any way, that would be great as well.

If I could also get you to download msi afterburner and give me a reading of the GPU's temperature during your gaming that would help a lot as well.

Some things I can tell you:

1.) The GPU usage sitting at 99% is normal. That just tells me that the GPU is running, and functioning properly.

2.) Your system is fully capable of running the game, so your system spec's are not too shabby.

3.) Glitches can be caused by not updated the drivers or downloading the drivers for the GPU you are currently using. Updates come out on a regular basis for most GPU's, so make sure you are staying up to date.

As for a true diagnosis. If you could provide the info I asked for above it will help me come up with a more specific cause to your issues rather than a guess and check.

Thanks,

Jordan

#3 jomberiini

jomberiini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

I run 64 bit windows 8.1 and no I have not overclocked anything in the laptop.

*edit*

Also I have checked the temps with speedfan and the gpu temp goes to 50c while gaming and cpu goes to like 60 and sometimes i have seen it at 65c.

Edited by jomberiini, 17 June 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#4 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

have you tried playing at lower quality and then seeing if the FPS drops happen

they call me te java mayster

#5 stegolove

stegolove

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

I have started to recently get weird fps drops out of nowhere while playing call of duty world at war on my laptop. I was able to play the game jsut fine with no problems for half a year. I have had this checked and they said theres nothing wrong in it and its not overheating.

specs:

cpu: intel i5-4210u

gpu: geforce 840m

ram: 8gb ddr3

One thing i have noticed while playing is that the cpu usage when the fps drop happens drops with it from being about 30% usage to under 10% usage. Gpu usage stays at 99% all the time while gaming.

Well, run the HWInfo freeware sensors monitor and record the data. You can upload it and link to it here - we will be able to see if there are drops in clocks or other problems

Not everything is "overheating". Sometimes the mfr automatically downclock the CPU because they think it's smart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users