Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping Auto Updates to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 grumblesmom

grumblesmom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:16 AM

New to the group.  Have read all the comments recommending NOT to stop the auto updates and the reasons why.  Here is why I feel compelled to do so.  Recent updates have slowed my PC to a crawl (although, admittedly, I did not attempt to isolate the specific update causing this).  I know that turning off the updates leave me vulnerable to malware.... but I  have two anti-malware products running.  Any comments?

Additionally, most recent update appears to be, if not forcing, at least pushing me to update to Windows 10, which I have no intention of doing.  Any comments on this one?

Thanks much!

Grumblesmom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

Hi grumblesmom :)

I doubt that Windows Updates will cause your system to become so slow that it'll not be usable properly. The issue might be somewhere else. Also, you have close to no protection with two Antimalware only, you need an active Antivirus protection in order for your system to stay secure. I suggest you to read the article below.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Now, you can hide the KB3035583 (the Windows 10 app update) if you don't want it to show up anymore. As for your "slowness" issue, do you want me to help you see what is really causing this?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 grumblesmom

grumblesmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:16 AM

Thanks much for the prompt reply. 

A little more detail on what was happening.  Right after the installation of about 8 updates, my system started "redrawing" screens and slowing down.  Once I deleted all of the updates the system stopped doing this.  (Pardon the poor grammar, explanation - not awake yet).

Could be coincidence - You may be right that something else was causing the problem (maybe my delightful Verizon Fios service which is not all it's cracked up to be).  But, this morning, of course, all the deleted updates appeared for me to reinstall, which I did.  What I did do is remove any updates that were "optional", e.g., the non-security, and everything is fine, with the exception of the presence of the Windows 10 thing.  If you can help me to remove this annoying thing... that would be helpful.

BTW - (and your advice here would be helpful).  I have Malwarebytes Pro, Norton Security (recent switch from McAfee which was becomming a real pain), CCleaner Pro for daily junk removal. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

Norton Security is an Antivirus, Malwarebytes Premium is an Antimalware, CCleaner Premium is neither (but a maintenance program), so you're good with that setup since you have an Antivirus and an Antimalware.

As for the Windows 10 app update, you simply need to uninstall the KB3035583. Can you find it in your list of installed updates?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 grumblesmom

grumblesmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

Again, thanks much for the response.  Glad to know that I'm covered.  And, it seems that having removed all the recent non-security updates has removed the Windows 10 push.

Thanks again!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

No problem grumblesmom :) If the computer becomes sluggish once again, let me know!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 maryannsubmarelime

maryannsubmarelime

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

New to the group.  Have read all the comments recommending NOT to stop the auto updates and the reasons why.  Here is why I feel compelled to do so.  Recent updates have slowed my PC to a crawl (although, admittedly, I did not attempt to isolate the specific update causing this).  I know that turning off the updates leave me vulnerable to malware.... but I  have two anti-malware products running.  Any comments?

Additionally, most recent update appears to be, if not forcing, at least pushing me to update to Windows 10, which I have no intention of doing.  Any comments on this one?

Thanks much!

Grumblesmom

hi, i'm with you on the subject of stopping automatic updates for windows 7. i absolutely agree with the idea of letting go of that whole auto updates and i'll tell you why. last month or maybe two months ago, i noticed that my computer slowed waayy down and that i might've been infected with malware or a virus or something like that. anyway i took a good look at auto updates and ran the malware program from microsoft and they found nothing. then i installed an antivirus program and there it was, 3 of my boot files and in the winsxs folder were infected with a virus. once they were "healed", auto updates would pop up with malicious "hotfixes" and the problems started all over again. i know it sounds crazy but i'm telling you, once i stopped auto updates, the problems never arose again. then, another problem surfaced. i was running my chrome browser and it said that i needed to update my browser so i gave the okay to update and low and behold it wasn't an update for my browser, it was a little window taskbar popup telling me to upgrade to windows 10. my kids think i'm crazy and when i say it right now, it sounds crazy but i am being totally honest and sincere when i repeat the chain of events that led up to my decision to switch to an alternative operating system. again, i am with you on your decision to turn off auto updates in windows 7. whethe or not you went with that decision is irrelevant to me right now. there isn't anything anyone can say to me that is going to erase the chain of events with "auto updates" from my mind. i know what i experienced with windows 7's automatic updates and i am convinced that all of this "vulnerability" windows speaks of has nothing to do with our computers'  vulnerabilities and it has everything to do with forcing an upgrade to windows 10 whether we like it or not. there, i said my peace. thank you for listening. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

You do know that "Important Updates" are critical to your OS? They are pushed to push vulnerabilities and holes in the Windows OS so malware and hackers cannot exploit them to take over your system. If you want to disable the automatic install of Windows Updates, it's fine. If you don't want to install the Recommended/Optional updates, it's fine too. However, not installing the Important Updates, which are security fixes, patches, etc. is is a huge security risk and this is a fact.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 grumblesmom

grumblesmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

maryannsubmarelime - I'm inclined to agree with you.  While my problem "could" have been cause by something else, the fact that I removing all non-security upgrades, including the push to upgrade to Windows 10, and the presence of plenty of protective software, leads me to believe that the "upgrades" were responsible for the slowdown.  Just a marketing ploy for Microsoft.

#10 grumblesmom

grumblesmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

Aura - agreed.  Having removed the non-security updates (including the push to Windows 10) has completely resolved the problem.  In the past, I've always uploaded the optional, as well as the security, updates.  Am not turning off the auto-update feature but will not be uploading the "optional" stuff.  Hopefully, that will prevent this from happening again.

Thanks again

#11 maryannsubmarelime

maryannsubmarelime

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

don't get me wrong, i read every one of those "updates" before i allow the installation. by the way, i didn't mean to upset you. i'm just recounting my experience with automatic updates from windows especially when it's done "automatically" without reviewing them first. oh and another thing, since when does windows recommend that Skype be installed? or some Zune package be installed? what does that have to do with vulnerabilities to my operating system? and to tell you the truth, i have opted to go with the manufacturer of my computer...Dell to get any driver downloads and any "urgent" or "recommended"  or even any "optional" updates installed on my Dell computer. And if i have any kind of graphics problems, i've opted to go with the manufacturer of my graphics medial accelerator chipset, Intel for those updates. windows automatic updates is NOT the answer for everything in my computer. in fact, every time i allow automatic installation of windows updates WITHOUT reviewing them first, i've had problems that don't get fixed until i go to Dell.  again, i am sad that you have to get so upset about this whole updates thing. but did it ever occur to you that maybe the person that is on their computer ALL THE TIME knows a little bit more about their computer than say....some tech guy that has never even SEEN my computer's insides? i know my computer inside and out. i clean it and check it all the time. i have most of my system part numbers memorized. remember, i am a grandmother that doesn't have any kids around anymore. i have nothing else to do but to be with my computer....and my kittys. that's it. that's my whole life. i am old and retired now. i don't feel old but i am nearing 60 years of age. can you say the same? give me the credit i deserve. i know a little bit more than you think. and i know when somebody is trying to sell me something i don't need to buy. thank you for listening. peace out.

#12 grumblesmom

grumblesmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

maryannsubmarelime - no worries.  Completely understand.  Not at all upset - and appreciate your feedback and response.  Just happy that folks have responded and (at least for the time being) the problem is solved. 

Take care and thanks again for your support.  :bananas:

#13 grumblesmom

grumblesmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

BTW - am also retire and 65.  My 36 year old son calls me when he has a problem with his computer.  Hehehehe.  :-)

#14 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

oh and another thing, since when does windows recommend that Skype be installed? or some Zune package be installed?

It's just me, but I'm pretty sure Windows don't push software (except for the Malicious Software Removal Tool maybe). I have all updates (except the ones for Silverlight - I never use that thing) installed and it does not affect the speed of my laptop at all.

IMO Windows Updates aren't really the cause of slowed down machines, but some other underlying reason.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

don't get me wrong, i read every one of those "updates" before i allow the installation. by the way, i didn't mean to upset you.

I'm not upset at all, sorry if you interpreted my reply that way.

oh and another thing, since when does windows recommend that Skype be installed? or some Zune package be installed? what does that have to do with vulnerabilities to my operating system?

Microsoft doesn't push these via Windows Updates like that. Only if you have Zune installed (and even there, it's discontinued), same goes for Skype. If these aren't "Important Updates", disregard them.

and to tell you the truth, i have opted to go with the manufacturer of my computer...Dell to get any driver downloads and any "urgent" or "recommended" or even any "optional" updates installed on my Dell computer. And if i have any kind of graphics problems, i've opted to go with the manufacturer of my graphics medial accelerator chipset, Intel for those updates.

I never went with the Windows Updates for the drivers updates and always adviced users to not go with that method either. You should always get your drivers from the manufacturer, simple as that.

windows automatic updates is NOT the answer for everything in my computer. in fact, every time i allow automatic installation of windows updates WITHOUT reviewing them first, i've had problems that don't get fixed until i go to Dell.

This happens often when Recommended/Optional updates are installed and they are driver-related. Hence why I recommend to not install them from there.

but did it ever occur to you that maybe the person that is on their computer ALL THE TIME knows a little bit more about their computer than say....some tech guy that has never even SEEN my computer's insides? i know my computer inside and out. i clean it and check it all the time.

I'm just going to ask you a rhetorical question on that one alright? If you knew your computer "that much", why would you need to come see guys like me (techs) to fix your issues? I never said that I knew your computer or anything else, you implied that. However, I know enough to be able to troubleshoot your issues without having to use your computer everyday, or without even using it once. Otherwise, I wouldn't have my current job wouldn't I?

Anyway, this thread has gone a bit off-track. Unless we get back on topic (which is solved), a Moderator will close it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users