Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira reported a virus in the recycle bin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:57 AM

Hi.

I have windows 7 64bit.  I was going to save a copy of VirtualBox 4.3.28.0 to dvd, the file was ready to be written to disc but then I changed my mind and deleted the temp file.  As soon as I did it avira popped up with this warning,

Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2 [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3139134934-3399216541-1204604078-1003\$R0KA5D5.exe.
Action performed: Transfer to Scanner

A quick scan ran but nothing more happened.

So is this a virus or did avira just detect the temp file of virtualbox in the recycle bin as a virus.  I have emptied the recycle bin.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

Hi there,

TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2 is a generic detection Avira uses for packed files. So this file may or may not be malicious.

I would just empty the Recycle Bin and be done with it. If you wish to have a checkup then let me know.

Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to have problems with or be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

I would just empty the Recycle Bin and be done with it. If you wish to have a checkup then let me know.

OK, I'll just leave it for now, I emptied the recycle bin and ran a full scan of avira and malwarebytes and both found nothing.

Thanks to the posters for their help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users