Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jumping Cursor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BIOS-Pherecydes

BIOS-Pherecydes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:14 PM

For some reason whenever I'm typing my cursor is randomly jumping without action on my part. The jumping itself isn't random, when it does so it always ends up at the current location of the pointer. So far it has not clicked on any links when it jumps and it hasn't simply moved to a data input box. Only to the pointer location, wherever that is at the time.

I am given no indication of when the cursor will jump and so I frequently end up typing half a sentence in an entirely different location than I started. I've already run the standard Troubleshooting with both regular Help and the HP Support Assistant to no avail.

I'm using an external mouse/external keypad setup and have installed Touchfreeze so I know the touchpad isn't the problem. The Mouse settings are already set to hide pointer while typing, although it doesn't do so. Since I'm not sure what information will be relevent here's all related specs:

Computer: HP Pavillion 17 Notebook PC

Microprocessor: AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon HD Graphics.
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8650G

System Board: 1984.01.13

BIOS: F.22

Synaptics Touchpad V7.5 on PS/2 Port

Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Wireless Mouse M510

Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Touch Keyboard K400

SetPoint Software Version: 6.65.62

If additional information is required, please let me know. This is driving me crazy, so I really hope someone can help me with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:36 AM

Hello BIOS-Pherecydes

Jumping cursor issue is one of the common problem mostly seen from Windows Vista to Win 7 and to current times, usually while typing in word or outlook.

From what I have found, there is no straight fix provided for this problem.

You may have to try different steps but I cannot say which one will fix it.

First you can try these two steps which have worked on the past computers. If it doesn't fix the problem then there are other steps that we can try. 

1. Go to Control Panel ---> Mouse---> Pointer Options and then uncheck "Hide pointer while typing". If it doesn't work, then try disabling the "trackstick" if you have one..

2. If the above step doesn't work then you may have to download and run this small program called Touchfreeze

I can not guarantee these tips, but they did work for many people .. Please tell us how it is for you.

Thank You -

#3 BIOS-Pherecydes

BIOS-Pherecydes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hello BIOS-Pherecydes

Jumping cursor issue is one of the common problem mostly seen from Windows Vista to Win 7 and to current times, usually while typing in word or outlook.

From what I have found, there is no straight fix provided for this problem.

You may have to try different steps but I cannot say which one will fix it.

First you can try these two steps which have worked on the past computers. If it doesn't fix the problem then there are other steps that we can try. 

1. Go to Control Panel ---> Mouse---> Pointer Options and then uncheck "Hide pointer while typing". If it doesn't work, then try disabling the "trackstick" if you have one..

2. If the above step doesn't work then you may have to download and run this small program called Touchfreeze

I can not guarantee these tips, but they did work for many people .. Please tell us how it is for you.

Thank You -

I had thought this fixed the problem, but it just showed up again. Also, as mentioned in the OP, I already have Touchfreeze installed and it doesn't help.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Seems to be a HP problem mainly ...

I can not post the full articles here due to lack of space, but these are all the same problems (solved) with a HP Pavillion (usually 17) laptop (Windows 8 or 8.1).

All had results that varied from "OK" to "Fully solved"..

Often, although you connected the wireless mouse you did not disable the TouchPad fully, and when you accidentally touch it, the cursor moves. ??

To start with  Fix a Jumping Cursor

Next - Here is a link to Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 8). Please see the section on disabling the ClickPad.

Finally - Laptop users -- if you have the "jumping cursor problem" -- fix here

I hope there is one that helps you...

#5 BIOS-Pherecydes

BIOS-Pherecydes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:49 AM

Seems to be a HP problem mainly ...

I can not post the full articles here due to lack of space, but these are all the same problems (solved) with a HP Pavillion (usually 17) laptop (Windows 8 or 8.1).

All had results that varied from "OK" to "Fully solved"..

Often, although you connected the wireless mouse you did not disable the TouchPad fully, and when you accidentally touch it, the cursor moves. ??

To start with  Fix a Jumping Cursor

Next - Here is a link to Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 8). Please see the section on disabling the ClickPad.

Finally - Laptop users -- if you have the "jumping cursor problem" -- fix here

I hope there is one that helps you...

I've already completely disabled the Synaptic driver itself. Additionally I use wireless devices for both keyboard and mouse. and only ever touch the actual computer to press the power button. The pad itself is to the far right of the Keyboard ergo my hand never goes anywhere near it. Believe me I would notice if I had accidently moved my hand that far from the actual keys. When typing my mouse is completely unused until I've finished, and yet somehow it still moves the cursor to the current pointer location.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:36 AM

Hello -

Sorry that none of these match your problem, but all are sourced from Windows Forum..and others were from >> HP Forum -<<<

As I added, it must be a HP problem, so please watch their forum for an answer (there are a few) or you may need to post a New Question, saying you have used all of these.

pages keep jumping around
hello, hope i have put this in the correct department. i have windows 7 32bit upgraded to 64bit windows 8.1. this isuue has been with me before i upgraded, its 5 weeks old and never done it before...i open google chrome and one minute im on twitter next it jumps back a page, or jumps to another...     

Laptop users -- if you have the "jumping cursor problem" -- fix here
Hi all This problem can often make typing a really hit and miss affair -- on some laptops the cursor will randomly jump to some obscure place --or even worse that whole page of text you just typed has vanished when you hit something like the Shift key. I've found that this problem is nearly..

Cursor randomly jumping on Windows Guests - Solved
Hi there. One of the most annoying things you can get on a computer is when the cursor randomly jumps to another area on the screen making typing input usually difficult or impossible. This sometimes happens when you use a USB mouse on some laptops -- seems random - often it will occur on...

Why do I keep jumping to Metro from Desktop in 8.1?
I'm on a 13" ThinkPad X201 with win 8.1 and I spend 95% of my time in the Desktop. I even have Stardock 8.1 and it's set to disable the top/bottom left corner when in the desktop. I have no issue with the right bottom corner charms bar and do use it. But it seems I frequently jump into Metro...
touchpad mouse jumping
After I installed windows 8. My laptop touchpad mouse start jump and the cursors move away.

Either jumping cursor or touchpad led constantly on
I have installed the latest Windows 8 90-day trial on my HP Pavilion dv6. When I'm trying to type anything in Microsoft Excel, the cursor is jumping all around from one column into another. I downloaded touchpad drivers from HP website, but this didn't fix the problem, so I tried the latest version...

Jumping cursor
I have an Alienware m15x laptop with Win 8 Preview on it. Anywhere I type the cursor will jump to other parts of typing area, such as emails, and continue typing. This is highly annoying to stop every 1-2 words, correct the mistake, and reposition the cursor in the proper spot. Has anyone else...     

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users