Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

Help! When I open up any web browser, all it says is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG. The Internet connection icon at the bottom right of my screen shows that I'm connected to the internet and I can use programs such as Skype normally, but programs such as Steam or any web browser don't work. There's nothing wrong with my Ipv4 connection, but my Ipv6 connection isn't working. I have flushed all DNS servers and switched to OpenDNS servers, but it didn't help at all.

Edited by Tdb213WT, 16 June 2015 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:57 AM

Bump

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

See topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579782/dns-issues-on-one-particular-router/ .

Moved from Win 7 to Networking.

Louis

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

There's nothing wrong with my Ipv4 connection, but my Ipv6 connection isn't working.

Not sure what that means.

I am fairly sure you are not on the computer with the issue so on that computer can you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all > Desktop\ipconfig.txt and hit enter. then type tracert -d yahoo.com > Desktop\tracert.txt and hit Enter. The first will be almost instant the second might take a few seconds. But 2 text files should appear on your desktop. Post what's in there here.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 18 June 2015 - 08:49 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 pepsiman

pepsiman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

I am curious, what is the make and model of your router? Is it wired or wireless?

#6 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

There's nothing wrong with my Ipv4 connection, but my Ipv6 connection isn't working.

Not sure what that means.

I am fairly sure you are not on the computer with the issue so on that computer can you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all > Desktop\ipconfig.txt and hit enter. then type tracert -d yahoo.com > Desktop\tracert.txt and hit Enter. The first will be almost instant the second might take a few seconds. But 2 text files should appear on your desktop.
Nothing happened when I typed that

#7 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:55 PM

I am curious, what is the make and model of your router? Is it wired or wireless?

Wireless. Can you give me information on how to find the make and model of the router or at least what that means? Sorry. I don't know too much about this.

Edited by Tdb213WT, 19 June 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#8 pepsiman

pepsiman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

Wireless. Can you give me information on how to find the make and model of the router or at least what that means? Sorry. I don't know too much about this.

If you have physical access to the router, you can usually find the model information on a sticker on the bottom or back of the router. Most of the time it will be clearly labeled "Model". Tell us what it says after that. Do you know what the company name is on the wireless router?

This image could help you to see what you are looking for:

newLabel2.jpg

Edited by pepsiman, 19 June 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:31 PM

Look on your desktop for the files ipconfig.txt and tracert.txt. Nothing will appear on the screen. The prompt will disappear for a moment or 2.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

If you have physical access to the router, you can usually find the model information on a sticker on the bottom or back of the router. Most of the time it will be clearly labeled "Model". Tell us what it says after that. Do you know what the company name is on the wireless router?

This image could help you to see what you are looking for:

newLabel2.jpg
Model: Motorola NVG510 Company: AT&T

#11 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:29 PM

Look on your desktop for the files ipconfig.txt and tracert.txt. Nothing will appear on the screen. The prompt will disappear for a moment or 2.

Can you tell me which part of ipconfig.txt is usually the most important? Because there is no way I'm typing that whole thing out unless it's absolutely necessary. However, tracert says "Unable to resolve target system name yahoo.com."

#12 pepsiman

pepsiman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

I want to do a rather simple test. We are going to see if you can talk to the website. First, I need you go to search on your system then put in CMD. Click on the little black box that appears. While inside type in "ping 206.190.36.105" then click enter. If successful it will say at the bottom packets: sent = 4 Received=4 Lost = 0. Tell me if you can do this successfully.

If you have windows follow these tips:

• open the text file

• right click where the text is then click select all

• click copy

• In your reply here; right click again and click paste

Edited by pepsiman, 19 June 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

lol no surprised the tracert didn't work sorry. no dns = no name resolution.

I still don't know what this means.

No thumb drive to sneaker net the files over? Seeing it would be better than trying to type it. Also, there is no need for DNS to share it locally. If you put it in your public folders you should be able to see it from another PC

Try tracert -d 74.125.21.101 and hit enter. See if that works, it will just display it if it does. And really I just need the the first 2 hop IP addresses.

#14 Tdb213WT

Tdb213WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

<p>

I want to do a rather simple test. We are going to see if you can talk to the website. First, I need you go to search on your system then put in CMD. Click on the little black box that appears. While inside type in "ping 206.190.36.105" then click enter. If successful it will say at the bottom packets: sent = 4 Received=4 Lost = 0. Tell me if you can do this successfully.

If you have windows follow these tips:

• open the text file

• right click where the text is then click select all

• click copy

• In your reply here; right click again and click paste

It said packets: sent=4, received=4, lost=0, so it was successful.

#15 pepsiman

pepsiman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:58 AM

It said packets: sent=4, received=4, lost=0, so it was successful.

Ok, this tells me right off the bat that there is something wrong with your DNS. I would try to follow CaveDweller's instructions first.

When did this problem start? Was there a power outage recently?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users