Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 15 BSOD and

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lahmeente

lahmeente

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hello! I posted here a few years back and had some amazing help regarding a a broken laptop and I'm hoping I can get some help here because I'm stumped.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15 that has been working well for the past two years but yesterday I tried to install google chromes new program removal tool and ended up having to do a hard reboot when the laptop froze up. I've now been locked in a booting loop and only able to access the troubleshooting area without much I can change. 

I've gotten the error code 0xc0001 and anytime I try to refresh I get "The drive where Windows is installed and locked. Unlock the drive and try again." Trying to rest the PC gives me "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" . I assume that I have a corrupt/missing  MBR or BCD file and have followed this link: The drive where Windows is installed is locked however when I get to the 'add installations to boot list? yes{y}/No{N}/All{A}" and select Y I get "the requested system device can not be found." If I try to add to the partition I have yet another error saying there is no space. Pre-boot system assessment says everything is functioning well.

I'm currently running off of a USB for the windows recovery file but am making a DVD if it might expedite the problem (and I also read the UEFI can't run off a USB?). I have absolutely zero access to the OS since this happened so everything will likely have to be fixed through the windows recovery file.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer!

Edited by lahmeente, 16 June 2015 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

From that link - did you set the partition as active?

If you have a UEFI system, I assume that it came with Windows 8/8.1 on it.  Is this correct?

Error messages like you relate usually consist of 8 numbers/letters after the "x" - I presume that your error was 0xc0000001 - is this correct?

If that is correct, then the error message means:  {Operation Failed} // The requested operation was unsuccessful.

When doing the Repair Master Boot Record (step 4 in your link), did you run all 3 commands (fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd)?

Was rebuildbcd the only one that gave you the error?

Do you mean that you boot to the recovery options off of a USB drive?

If so, there will be no difference if you choose to use a USB drive or a CD/DVD.

Both USB and CD/DVD can boot using the UEFI system, but must be configured properly to do this.  If you're booting to the recovery stuff with the USB, then you're already using the UEFI.

As for accessing the hard drive, you can usually do this through the command prompt.

This will allow you to see if your files are intact (if the hard drive is recognized).

Are you able to see the hard drive at the command prompt?  Can you add an external hard drive in order to backup your data?  If so, is it seen in the command prompt - and are you able to work within the command prompt in order to backup your data?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users