Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple questions for you BC Mods

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

For the last couple of weeks I have been coming here and reading different people needing help and you guys helping them.

I find it really interesting,for some unknown reason.

I noticed a couple of times, people have let it slip that they were using hacked or pirated versions of Windows

My question is, Can and do you guys ever catch them without them slipping it out? while helping them fix it.

Secondly As a mod, whats the most frustrating thing for you guys to do while trying to help someone?,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

I'm not a moderator but here's my 2 cents.

The status of the OS and how it's handled with the member posting is on a case by case basis. There is no one size fits all method or procedure in how we handle that specific scenario.

Frustration comes in many shapes and forms and like any human what frustrates you one day may not frustrate you another.

One of the best parts about being staff here is no two days are ever alike.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

Secondly As a mod, whats the most frustrating thing for you guys to do while trying to help someone?,

Think about what would frustrate you if you were helping someone. Those same things may frustrate us, as well as ALL who provide help here.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

Probably the most frustrating thing I come across is posters who believe that every contributor on this (and many other such sites) are all mind readers and that we instinctively know exactly what make and model of computer is at the root of the problem !

Apart from that, there is a certain satisfaction in moving topics to sections where they are most likely to get help and to see that help being provided.

As for the pirate software issue - we are definitely not thought readers, but some problems are due to using pirate software and other people just come out and say they are using software from non-legit sources.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

I'm not a moderator but here's my 2 cents.

The status of the OS and how it's handled with the member posting is on a case by case basis. There is no one size fits all method or procedure in how we handle that specific scenario.

Frustration comes in many shapes and forms and like any human what frustrates you one day may not frustrate you another.

One of the best parts about being staff here is no two days are ever alike.

Well,Its sure interesting for someone like me.

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Think about what would frustrate you if you were helping someone. Those same things may frustrate us, as well as ALL who provide help here.

By reading the different forums, I think what would bother me the most, would be when youre right in the middle of helping someone, and they just stop posting right in the middle.After all that effort.............And they stop

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

Probably the most frustrating thing I come across is posters who believe that every contributor on this (and many other such sites) are all mind readers and that we instinctively know exactly what make and model of computer is at the root of the problem !

Apart from that, there is a certain satisfaction in moving topics to sections where they are most likely to get help and to see that help being provided.

As for the pirate software issue - we are definitely not thought readers, but some problems are due to using pirate software and other people just come out and say they are using software from non-legit sources.

Chris Cosgrove

Thats what I was wondering,just curious I guess

I read somewhere that a lot of over seas (outside US) use pirated software

I see you guys have them post logs sometimes and started wondering if you could tell by that.

So far, I have seen two threads shut down because of pireted software

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:04 AM

I am not a moderator, And I can't afford the 2 cents like Animal can, As a Advisor I am kept in the Attic ( Linux Section ) most of the time and fed a bucket of fish heads one a week. Every now and then I manage to escape the attic, but they always catch me.

And we get the same problems in the Linux section.

As for the pirate software issue
I noticed a couple of times, people have let it slip that they were using hacked or pirated versions of Windows.

I know of at least 1 malware removal help site that wont help a person who has " Un authorised " software on their PC, I remember 1 post on that site where a home user was using Microsoft Office Enterprise and he had to explain how he got it and why before being helped.
I have also seen posts where a log showed a P2P client,  And it was suggested by staff/helpers,  that they remove the offending client if the OP wanted help.

Edited by NickAu, 17 June 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

I noticed a couple of times, people have let it slip that they were using hacked or pirated versions of Windows
My question is, Can and do you guys ever catch them without them slipping it out? while helping them fix it.

Yes we do.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

I need to make something clear here. We are not in the business of tracking people or trying to embarrass or 'out' people that use unlicensed or 'pirated' software or OS's. That job belongs to the software vendors, publishers and authors. But if the unlicensed software is part of the problem we will let the member know. So to be clear we are not in the business of 'catching' people. We are here to help people with computer issues if and when possible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

I should have been more clear in my reply. To expand on what Animal said... We do this because infected systems on the Internet are a security risk to everyone. When someone uses an insecure or infected computer, malware spreads faster and more extensively, distributed denial-of-service attacks are easier to launch, spammers have more platforms from which to send e-mail and more machines become compromised.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

What is most frustrating varies from day to day depending partly on who I am at that point.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

To add to what Quietman and Animal have said:

While we will help those who use pirated software with malware removal or other issues we will NOT help them if they clearly state or imply they want to use pirated software on their computers. It is up to each member of the malware removal team and the membership to decide whether or not to help someone who has issues that may or may not be related to pirated software.

We will NOT help them if they say they want to use a program but have no license key for it and ask "how do I get around this?" Every once in a while someone will want to know that.

We will NOT be a party to helping them obtain "something for nothing".

Bleeping Computer rules clearly states

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Helping them get around restrictions software vendors have in place equals encouraging them to use pirated software.

So far, I have seen two threads shut down because of pireted software

Which two are your referring to?

I see you guys have them post logs sometimes and started wondering if you could tell by that

The answer to both of those is YES.

We have members and staff who are very skilled at seeing things in logs that will let them know that pirated software is installed. Please do not ask what those things are because we will not tell you what they are.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 June 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#14 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

I need to make something clear here. We are not in the business of tracking people or trying to embarrass or 'out' people that use unlicensed or 'pirated' software or OS's. That job belongs to the software vendors, publishers and authors. But if the unlicensed software is part of the problem we will let the member know. So to be clear we are not in the business of 'catching' people. We are here to help people with computer issues if and when possible.

I understand that, Since buying this new PC, I decided to read up on Windows 8.1 and see what are the problems people are having and mabe avoiding there circumstance

Since doing that I noticed on a couple occasions where it happened that they were using pirated software. So then I started to wonder if you guys catch them without them saying it.

I didnt imply that it was your job to do this.

#15 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

I should have been more clear in my reply. To expand on what Animal said... We do this because infected systems on the Internet are a security risk to everyone. When someone uses an insecure or infected computer, malware spreads faster and more extensively, distributed denial-of-service attacks are easier to launch, spammers have more platforms from which to send e-mail and more machines become compromised.

Thats something I would have never thought of.

I have been reading a lot of your virus and other lincs you have posted around the forums (very informative and interesting)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users