Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NETGEAR Wifi network only appears (in connections lists) on some devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BakaAnnsan101

BakaAnnsan101

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

some info: I am connected on an Apple iPhone and have already accessed the router login page. The wireless network is set to broadcast its name, so that problem is out. It's security is set to the one with both TPIK and AES, and uses both b and g (not that I really know what all that means but trust me when I say I have tried reading lots of forums, and no problem exactly fit).

The two devices that can't seem to find it in the list are my android phone and my windows 7 laptop (HP). Every other device in the house is Apple, and that seemed like a suspicious factor...right? Right?

Anyway, there is one windows desktop connected, but it is connected using an Ethernet which ALSO is somehow connected to my problem. Right?!

More info: I am currently in China, but the router is NETGEAR and the router page is the exact same, so I didn't think that would make a difference. (If anyone is curious I am using VPN).

I want to avoid hard reset as much as possible. But I am in desperate need of Internet. Please understand. ;-;

Help,
Me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

What is the Netgear connecting to as in a internet via wire, a modem or another router?

Do you get internet on this connection without using the Netgear?

Unclear if your issue is internet access across the board of just wireless access. Please confirm which it is.

Concerning the vpn.  Is this client software loaded on your pc or is this a router flash?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

There is the possibility that the devices either don't support the encryption or the network.  For wireless you have to set up to the least common denominator.  If you have a device that will only support WAP, you are limited to WAP or not using the device.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

differences of a, b, g and n plus more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Edited by Wand3r3r, 16 June 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#5 BakaAnnsan101

BakaAnnsan101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Reply to wanderer: your first message was almost alien. I just thought the router brand was NETGEAR overall. Does it connect to something else? I could find out if you told me but I'm a big tech challenged. The problem is not specifically wireless or not, it is only that certain devices cannot see the wireless ssid in the list of connections, while others connect just fine, wires or not.

Reply to Kilroy: I checked the router login and the security encryption is both tpik and aes. Do HP windows laptops /android htc smartphones not support those encryptions?

Edited by BakaAnnsan101, 17 June 2015 - 11:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users