Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advertisements ~ Teach Me

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi!

When I access Bleeping Computer as a guest, or when I am signing in I always have this advertisement in front of me:

bcadvert_zpshguseequ.jpg

Is there a way I can make an "ad-free" donation to Bleeping Computer?  I understand that guests (BC) might get some funds from users clicking on the advertisement.  As a member, I'd love to see it go away!  No iPad for me! :-)

Thank you so much for your time! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

I've honestly never gotten any ads like this when browsing BleepingComputer as a guest, so I'm not sure if that ad really comes from BleepingComputer or not. Also, the "Advertisement brought to you by ..." looks suspicious too. I'm tempted to say that you have an adware on your system.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

As a member you are never shown ads. Just create a free account and the ads should go away. If not, please send me a pm with a screenshot so I can track down the misbehaving one.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

Hi Softeyes.. I just want to confirm for you .. I get the same obnoxious ad when I sign out of BC and or upon my first 'sign on' of the day.  So this is not adware from anything you have installed it IS pushed to the browser from the site.  As from this disclaimer:

Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
keys.gifWelcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The only way you can 'get away from it is to have your 'bleeping computer' remember you (check the box when you sign in' in which case any time you delete your cookies or sign out you will have those ads.  There is no way around it.  I also wanted to add (long time no see !!) And it is rather obnoxious I totally agree ... It would be nice if it only popped up once upon first visit but it pops up Every time you click a link on the site.  It is a coding thing that really only the web admin has control over.  (not the forum admins)

Edited by YeahBleeping, 16 June 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

I am going to try and remove that ad from the sign up page

#6 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

Grinler, the picture you see in my first post is an actual "cropped screen shot" ~ I'm using Googe  Chrome. Once I sign in as a member, I do not see this advertisement anymore. (Laughing at myself..how would my browser know if I was a paid member when I'm looking at the forum as a guest!!! :oneeye:)

@YeahBleeping (you've been busy!!) thank you for your description! That's precisely what I experience.

In my Google tool bar, I click on Bleeping Computer and the ad instantly shows up.  It will not go away as a "guest." Every new forum area I click is preceded by the ad.  I've learned to be patient and click out of it!

Mind you, I am one who never ticks 'remember me' and I use Ccleaner like a germophobe! Perhaps it's just the way it is!

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

LOL yeah I have been replying to posts like a banshee lookin for souls.  What is even worse about that ad is that if your having trouble with flash or you have a tiny laptop screen like I do you have to scroll over to get to the little 'x' to close it ~ It often will toss up a script error (for flash issues) and trying to click that x before you get to the next load screen is crazy.  Yes you will continue to get some kind of ad if you toss your cookies (heh heh) .. I hope things are fairing well with you and have a good day.

#8 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Helpful step I hope: In Ccleaner I added Bleeping Computer to the "keep cookies" list!  

:scratchhead:  "could that  have been easier?"

Thanks you two! :thumbsup2:

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Ad is removed from the login screen.

#10 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

@Grinler:  At first I didn't notice, so I signed out and back in..ta-da..one less ad!

:hello: Thank You very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users