Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Ad Performance... anyone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michiel_T

Michiel_T

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hi,

The day I bought my new laptop and installed it all the way, something terrible made its appearance like it climbed out of hell. This horrific totaladpermormance ad pop up, which practically ate up my previous laptop, was noticing me it was determined to do the same to my new precious device as well.

System repair and recovery haven't done the job, which also counts for the AdwCleaner, JRT and MalwareBites Anti-Malware programmes that I tried because of the recommendation from these fora. Further I don't know how it could be adopted from my previous laptop, but I'm sure it has something to do with it. 

Can anybody please provide assistance?

I'd appreciate it the uttermost.

Kind regards,

Michiel

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:04 AM

hi,

Iam only on this site once or twice per day so you may not get a reply back from me until the next day.

We will get a download to use:

Please download RogueKiller.exe and save to the desktop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/

Close all windows and browsers
    double click the icon to start Roguekiller
    A prescan will start automatically. When the prescan is done: press the Scan button.
    When the scan is done press the Report button.
    Please copy and past the results in your next reply.
    Dont fix anything yet.

File>Quit to exit Roguekiller. Post the result and we will go from there.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Michiel_T

Michiel_T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hello, thank you for taking time to take a look

I've attached the rapport with this message. Roguekiller found two PUM.dns files in the register.

Attached Files

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Thats not a 'bad" result. Probably your ISP's DNS server. Resolves to the Netherlands.

Do you see the ad only when your on the internet? Do you see it in IE, FF and Chrome? or just one of them.

You see it on your Laptop, what about any other devices you have?

#5 Michiel_T

Michiel_T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:03 AM

Ok, I've tried some days on IE, but it didn't seemed to appear. And it is true that it appeared on my previous laptop as well... I allready tried to reset my chrome account, including sync history and extensions.

Some more info which might indicate to something:

Thereby, I noticed that even when I'm not on Chrome, my laptop sometimes runs very high on the CPU, because of something called Windows Modules Installer Worker. It does so repeatedly, random times a day. Probably this has something to with the virus?

Another thing, which I also noticed on my previous laptop, but much worse, is that the system storage is occupied with massive untrackable storage. I noticed because after I ran recovery on my new device, it was occupied with 20gb more space than it was when I bought it (two weeks before that)... On my previous laptop it even showed 60gb more...

I hope this can help.

Kind regards,

Michiel

#6 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

very high on the CPU, because of something called Windows Modules Installer Worker

See this link about changing windows update to manual mode.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-modules-installer-worker-high-cpu-usage/bf3dc73e-0b05-4935-920c-22409323f258

Other links

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/why-is-windows-module-installer-churning-my-cpu.10628/

http://statistics-tutorial.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-sove-high-cpu-usage-by-windows.html

Your saying your HD gained 20gb more space then when you got it?  Like it went from 100gb to 120gbs over two weeks?

#7 Michiel_T

Michiel_T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

Hello,

At first instance the laptop's harddrive had the capacity of 98gb after full installation. After two or three weeks I reinstalled it and it had only 79gb. Besides that, I wasn't able to locate a folder anywhere on the drive which contained approximately 20gb on files...

Replying to the CPU tip, I checked this before, and strangest thing is that it was allready set on manual...

#8 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

I guess you could try disabling it. Not sure if it would make any difference if its already set to manual. Worth a try I guess.  Its not virus related.

Cant explain the lose in your HD space after a reinstall. Heres what FRST shows for your drives:

Drive c: (Windows) (Fixed) (Total:102.89 GB) (Free:71.38 GB) NTFS
Drive d: (RECOVERY) (Fixed) (Total:15.33 GB) (Free:1.74 GB) NTFS ==>[System with boot components (obtained from reading drive)]

#9 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users