Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Stubborn Registry Entries

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jagcat

Jagcat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:39 AM

I have several registry entries that continue to return over and over after deleted.  This is very annoying as I feel I should have complete control over my PC.  Have used Safe Mode and Administrator with no joy.  Is there a procedure for removing the entries forever?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

Hi there,

Which entries are you trying to delete?

#3 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

Hi ya Alexstrasza,

Thanks for this prompt reply.

Today it’s the Plague From Redmond. Seems MS is determined to push Win 10 whether we want it or not. MS does not have permission to place this wart on my machine.

In the past, when registry entries would not let go, I would restore the registry from a backup. Restoring would take care the problem. However, the Windows 10/ms-gwx will return in a couple of days. I loath Win 8 and have no use for 10. My Win 7 Home Premium is what I want to keep until end of life support.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:39 AM

Hi there,

Microsoft does not force you to use Windows 10 - it only offers to reserve your copy, and when the time comes to download Windows 10 and do the inplace upgrade for you. It is completely by choice, you are not forced to upgrade to Windows 10 (contrary to what a lot of people say).

If you do not want the "Get Windows 10" app to appear again, I suggest that you check this thread by my buddy Aura.

You will have to upgrade to 8.1 or 10 in five years when Windows 7 reaches life of support anyway, so I think you will have some time to think about your choice before then.

Regards,
Alex

#5 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:46 AM

Perhaps I was not clear as to Win 10.  I realize I am not forced to install 10.  My complaint is....the icon on my task bar and the nag tag displayed when I go to check updates.  I removed the icon using task manager.  However,  Windows 10 and ms-gwzx will not stay deleted from the registry and there is no option to hide the nag tag from the check for updates.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

In that case I suggest that you bring it up to Aura in the thread I linked to, as he investigates into these sorts of things. I chose to upgrade to Windows 10, so I do not work with this :)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

Did you start by uninstalling the KB3035583, and then "hide" it in your Windows Updates?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

Alex,  thanks for your help.

Aura,  I have not uninstalled the KB.  I am not comfortable messing with entries that I can not predict the result.  I can if there is no danger.

My original concern:  Is there a way to delete registry entries that continue to return?   Or perhaps a trusted program that will accomplish the task.  The nag tag that displays with check for windows updates will not hide like Skye and Sliverlight.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

If you want to get rid of these entries, you'll have to uninstall the KB3035583. It's the update that added the whole "GWX" to your system. So as long as you don't uninstall it, these entries will return. And it's perfectly safe to uninstall it. Do you know how?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

I know they are located on the left pane of the uninstall display.  However,  there are a gaggle of those KB entries.  I'll go look and try to locate the correct KB.

#11 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

Done!

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

You can simply use the search box in the top right-corner to look for the KB number. Alright, good. Now restart your computer and tell me if the Registry entries you wanted to get rid of are still there. Also, do you still have a folder called GWX in C:\Windows\System32?

unite_blue.png

#13 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

You did good!

No trace of Windows 10 or ms-gwx on the primary drive or registry.  When I checked for updates,  the KB was offered.  However, the hide option was available and the Redmond Curse is no more......for now.

I still need a trusted program or a means to uninstall those stubborn registry entries when they refuse to let go.  I don't recall the programs that left the orphans.  I'm sure there are many and I'm concerned as to the reason.....are they calling home or setting me up for an invasion?

Take care and thanks some more for your help.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

If you cannot delete Registry keys, it means that you're probably not meant to delete them and forcing their deletion could damage your system. So personally, I would just let them be. Or in cases like these, find what's putting them there and get rid of it the correct way.

And no problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#15 Jagcat

Jagcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

I test drive many programs.  After uninstalling,  some leave registry orphans that will not uninstall.  The entries continue coming back after being uninstalled.  This is not acceptable.  All programs leave orphans,  but I can uninstall/delete them with RegSeeker or regedit.  There is probably a program out there that will accomplish this action,  I just haven't located it by search. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users