Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes blank, light stays green.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yb125

yb125

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:38 AM

Hello,

So I have been trying to troubleshoot my dad's computer and I am stumped. The monitor keeps going completely blank, but the monitor light stays green and the computer is still running. If we turn the monitor off and then back on the screen comes back for a few seconds, the same thing happens when we unplug the VGA cord and plug it back in. It does this in XP and windows 7  (he has a dual install) and it also happens in safemode while the computer is booting, while in the BIOs and while using a rescue disk.

My first thought was the monitor itself, but trying a different monitor did not solve the problem (and the original monitor works fine when hooked up to a laptop). I tried plugging the power cord in to different power outlets and changing the cord to a new VGA cord and to a DVI cord.  I brought a new video card, and the power source is less then a month old. Ran anti-virus and malware bytes and that did not fix the problem.

However when I hooked the computer by VGA cord to his TV it works fine so what ever the problem is it's only effecting the monitors (we don't have a CRT to test, so I don't know if it's only the LED monitors) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, specs below.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 560

MoBo: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2

Memory:16 GB DDR3 

Monitor: VIZ VO320E

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hello yb125,

This is quite a strange issue and I'm afraid it'd be quite hard to determine where the culprit is. One reason the monitor could shut off is because it is overheating. When a monitor overheats, it will shut off to prevent damage to the circuitry inside. There is a chance that both of your monitors have a problem, since the TV works in the same basic principle and if the VGA cable signal is lost - the TV will shut off as well. In my opinion, the only way to go is experiment, despite that it seems a dead end. 

Try yet another monitor, update all your video card drivers, clean everything from dust and check the connections. If the reason is not in the TV or monitors, and if you've changed the graphics card, the only other option would be a bad motherboard. 

Hope this was helpful, best of luck, Citizen_WD

#3 yb125

yb125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

I will those step with a third monitor, but just a note of clarification, it works with the TV fine, so the problem is definitely not with the TV it's only the two LED monitors that did not work. But they do work with other computers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users