Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Boot drive Intermittent fails and leads to BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 antonvs

antonvs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

I have had an ongoing problem with this issue but it has now got worse.

Whilst this only happened spasmodically and it I seemed to track it down to power supply failing on the 120Gb boot SSD.

After several attempts at looking at the problem I tracked down a faulty main MB header connector. I had previously cleaned the pins with contact cleaner but when the problem persisted I tried re-soldering the header pins to the MB. The symptom was the PC Would be working ok then reboot to the BIOS screen. I would check the SATA list an the boot drive would be missing.

However since the last occurance a few days ago (after 3 months of perfect use) the issue started again but this time something is different as every time after a reboot the boot drive is there and the system boots up ok, approximately 5 minutes later the screen freezes followed by BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

If I immediately boot to a USB stick and then open a elevated command prompt I find that the boot drive is not there.

If I do a complete shutdown and switch back on and go directly to an ECP (elevated etc) the boot drive (C:) is there but again if I sit and wait at the command prompt after about five minutes the C: drive has gone.

Even trying to run chkdsk fails to finish.

I have tried running SSD life Pro to check the drive and it reports 100% ok with an expected life of 10 years.

However the Windows Event log" shows event 7 - bad blocks.

My system specs are:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/U4cQzev6XlfWxYbdZIqAjJz

Link to Screenshots of some of the checks I made today:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/dcpsxxn6akm08v7/AADkHzxCy2p0PqIEOZfZrZska

Edited by antonvs, 16 June 2015 - 04:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 antonvs

antonvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

After experimenting for several hours I have established the following. From a full shutdown I can start the PC and it will boot into windows and run perfectly well doing any function or running any program without error. But only for a period of from 3 to 8 minutes then whatever is running will freeze or some other function will freeze like mousing over the task bar will stop. I do nothing eventually first I may get a green windows background screen then a BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. This I have confirned means the boot drive has gone.

Two things happen now.
1. If I press reset, the system reboots and goes to the BIOS screen, where I can see the booty drive is missing in the SATA screen.
2. If I press reset followed imediatelly by the power button, the PC shuts down. Then when I power on again the PC starts normally again for another cycle of 3-8 minutes.

I ask my self two questions.
1. If the drive is faulty, why does it operate perfectly for a few minutes
2. If the power supply is faulty, why do the other SSD drives not stop working as they are on the same physical power leads.

I also note that the Speccy report shows Hibernation enabled, however when I check settings it says Hibernation is disabled.
Very confusing symptoms.

Edited by antonvs, 16 June 2015 - 07:20 AM.

#3 antonvs

antonvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:52 AM

There was good news and bad news. The good news was I have tracked down my problem, the bad news is I have tracked down my problem and it was my boot SSD. I bought a new on (Samsung 840 EVO 120gb) and after a successful Win 8.1 install, the PC has been running without a hitch for several hours. After evaluating all the data I had collected it had to be the drive.

So business as usual and thanks for viewing. I hope the symptoms and cure may help someone else

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I'm glad that you got it fixed.

Thanks for posting your resolution here as it'll help others who come looking for help with a similar issue.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users