Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible that my 2008 Laptop is better than my 2015?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

I have an Acer Laptop that I got in 2008 or 2009. It was around $599-$699 at the time.  I've been looking at getting a new laptop. I have a temp Laptop now & judging by the specs  alone I'm curious to see if my old pc is better "specs-wise" than this new one. They both need to run office work software, social media & video streaming? (being able to play some popular modern plays would be nice but not too important)

1) Acer Aspire 5738Z - 2008-2009 – Inter Pentium T4200 - 2.0 GHz-Dual Core- 220 HDD- 4RAM
1366x768 Res – Mobile Intel 4 series Express family (graphics card)

2) Lenovo B50 - 2014-15- AMD E1-6010- 1.35GHz- Dual Core- 320HDD-4RAM- 1366x768 Res- AMD Radeon R2 Series grafics

Which should run the best now?
Thanks!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

While the Intel laptop is definitely a faster system the fact that it is using Intel 4200 graphics processor is going to make the AMD laptop using the R2 6200T graphics 'seem' better.  These two laptops are about equal in terms of performance.  In real world the Intel is going to probably feel faster in regular applications where the AMD laptop will have the capability of running some games at better settings (although a bit slower) so yes it is possible that the newer AMD is actually a slower performer than the Intel.

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

That's interesting that is exactly what I've experienced. I'm not sure if the Intel is running faster but it has 5 years worth of stuff on it & only 7 GB free space on the HDD. The AMD does stream video better. I just think it seems kinda clunky when surfing the net. I would think a system with hardly any programs on it other than what was on it out of the box should handle browsing & other function remarkably better than a 2008 laptop.

Thanks!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

No problem and this is one of the reasons why I'll always be a bigger fan of Intel systems.  They are simply faster when compared to an AMD of near equal comparisons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users