Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Happy Magna Carta Day ... Or Is It???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: What (week) Day Magna Carta signed (2 member(s) have cast votes)

What day of the week was 15th June 1215?

1. Monday (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tuesday (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Wednesday (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Thursday (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. Friday (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Saturday (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Sunday (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

Monday 15th June 2015 is being celebrated worldwide as the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta by King John of England.

Some pundits say that 15th June 1215 was actually a Monday.

I am hoping I have got this Poll business working but I am not sure, as the Preview Pane function does not reveal it.

If not, what weekday do YOU think it was, and why?

I will leave this for a indeterminate time to get responses, and post my answer.

Enjoy

:wizardball: Wizard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

The day of the week it actually occurred on depends on which calender someone used to determine the day of the week.

In 1215 the Julian calender was in use.

The Gregorian calendar, which is used today by most countries, was introduced in 1582.

I won't go into why the Gregorian calender came about; if interested you can look it up yourself.

I will say that the Julian calender is currently 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar.

Since I don't know how many days behind (or if was behind) it was when the so-called experts declared that June 15, 1215 was Monday, it is possible they used the Gregorian calender and failed to take into account what the day of the week was on the Julian calender, if that date was NOT on a Monday.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Does it really matter what day in June?

August – King John of England rejects the Magna Carta, leading to the First Barons' War

August 24 – Pope Innocent III declares the Magna Carta invalid.

December – First Barons' War: Alexander II of Scotland invades northern England.

Looks like it wasn't worth the parchment it was scrawled on?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1215

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

Gregorian calendar it was a Sunday: http://5ko.free.fr/en/year.php?y=1215

Julian calendar it was a Monday: http://5ko.free.fr/en/jul.php?y=1215

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Thank you, Animal. I searched for that information and did not find it.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

Guess I did learn something after all, from the Google power user course I took a couple of years ago.... :P

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

Wow, two high-powered entries already to input to this topic/poll (which I see does work, lol). Keep 'em comin'!

Thanks dudette and dude (ladies first) for the contributions.

Both are right on the money with info about the Julian and Gregorian calendars, I believe.

Hint

What is one of the basic differences between the two calendars, vis-a-vis Leap Years? This for those inclined to work out the answer mathematically.

I believe that Animal's hyperlink URL was one of the "pundits" I referred to above,but I cannot verify yet as I cannot, for some reason access their site currently.

If you think you have the answer, remember to vote.

:wizardball: Wizard

Like a brain-teaser? I gotta million of 'em - well dozens, at least :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users