Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:20 AM

Hi,

Remote access solutions are so easy nowadays. They are of great help for after office work. I usually spend long hours at work and was never been able to get back home at time leaving my kids alone. I have found a new and cost effective solution now - RemotePC (http://www.remotepc.com/). Its been great so far and I can still work on my Office computer and do all that from my Home. Try it, they do have a free trial option.

Regards
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

Hello and welcome to BC!!

Does it work in a way that you see another computer's desktop, from another one or you can only transfer files?

Also, how much does the full version cost?

Thanks for your recommendation! :thumbsup:

Edited by JEservices, 30 November 2004 - 10:00 AM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:29 PM

Windows XP has this built in. And if you need a "Free" (we like free) solution I would look at TightVNC.

TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer. TightVNC is:

* free, GPL-licensed, with full source code available;
    * useful in remote administration, remote customer support, education, and for many other purposes;
    * cross-platform, available for Windows and Unix, compatible with other VNC software;
    * well maintained and being actively developed.

http://www.tightvnc.com/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:19 PM

Whem making replies, use the add reply button and not the report button.

#5 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:38 PM

does the free remote control software work with a satalite internet connection? We have no dsl out on the farm. Also do you need to open up my network places in xp and choose something in order for the 2 computers to communicate with each other?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:41 PM

VNC does not require any special type of connection. As long as you have internet access, or really tcp/ip access, and its on a network you can connect to it.

You run the server on the computer you want to remove control and connect to it remotely using the client part of the software

#7 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:20 PM

Thank you for the info, so it should work my pc at home is connected by satalite internet and my pc at work is on dsl service. but when I try to open up the viewer at home with fast compression, the small box comes up where you type in the ip address of the computer you need to connect to, and I type it in, then nothing happens, the box goes away, there is no other window to enter user profiles or anything. no portals nothing. what could I be missing? I want to donnate for their tech support, (but not if it won't work on my system) any ideas I may try? My computer is new, has 2gb memory and 500 gb hard drive, - 2 250gb each.

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:23 PM

but when I try to open up the viewer at home with fast compression, the small box comes up where you type in the ip address of the computer you need to connect to, and I type it in, then nothing happens, the box goes away

Am i understanding that you are using the client (viewer) to connect to the same computer you have the server installed on?? IIRC there is a check box to enable local viewing.

Here's the doc page:

http://www.tightvnc.com/winst.html

rawsig.png

#9 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:53 AM

no one computer is at my home the othe computer is across town at my office. Do both computers have to be at my home in order for the software to work?

I read the instructions on the link you provided. thank you. but even after following them, it does the same thing. when I input the ip address for my office machine, so I can do some work from home. the small box goes away. and I get no options or anything else to connect to my office pc. I used to have a program called pc anyware a long time ago, and it worked on my older computers at the time. I could connect from my home to my office. I thought this is a similar software. If it is it supposed to do the same type of thing it sure is a lot harder to configure. do you know anyone who uses it to connect two machines together that are in diffrent parts of a city? I spent about 4 hours trying to make it work so far, but nothing I do will make it connect to my office pc. any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I am in central california if anyone around here knows how to use it I would like to talk to them, if that is possible. Can I give out my email address? I am new to this type of communication so I am not sure what you are allowed to do.

#10 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:57 AM

Also both my home and office computers run windows xp.

#11 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:59 AM

any idea's are much appreciated.

#12 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

Is the office computer behind a router or company firewall??
Does it have a "static" IP address or does it change every so often??

Edited by raw, 07 December 2004 - 12:15 PM.

rawsig.png

#13 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:05 PM

the office computer is on sbc yahoo Dsl service, it is my own office, so I installed zone alarm on the office computer. ALso yes it is behind a router, I use a cisco top of the line router at my office, so all 5 office computers can share the one dsl line. also I called SBC and they told me the ip address is static. It does not change. I asked them for my ip address, and they gave it to me, but it does not match the ip address I see when I put the mouse cursor on the V logo at the bottom of the screen of my office computer. I have tried to use the ip address that show up on the V, and the one SPC gave me. but both do not work. I mean nothing happens when input the ip address in the small box that opens when you open the viewer. Am I opening the viewer wrong? It seems to me that the viewer is not opening up, once I put in the ip address. ALso I was able to ping one of my office computers ip address from my home computer. But not the ip address sbc gave me, or the one that comes up when you move mouse over the V on the task bar. Thanks for the help.

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:27 PM

Now thats good info.
The Cisco is blocking inbound connections.It needs to be configured to allow port 5900 to forward to your office computer. (the internal IP ex: 192.168.x.x)
ZoneAlarm should ask if you would like the server to listen when it starts so that shouldn't be any problem there.
Then you should be able to put the public IP (the one sbc gave you) in vncviewer and it should connect. If you would like to PM me the IP address I can check to see if vncserver is listening.
Please don't post the IP here.

rawsig.png

#15 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:41 PM

Great stuff Raw!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link and recommendation.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users