Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives Not Being Read Or Recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iDon

iDon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

Ok guys how is everybody doing?

i Have a few problems with some of my HDD'S.

Now i have a dell 755 SFF desktop which was running i forgot what windows, it was either  8 or 7, because i wasnt using it i a while. so everything was working fine, like i said i only had it on when i need it to use it, so nothig wrong with it.

now my friend has the same pc, and we were talking on skype one night not too long ago, and his pc crashed while we were on skype.

he tried to boot it boot it back up and alwways getting stuck at the windows 8 blue logo, didnt pass that. so im kinda computer savvy. so what i did was try to see the problem in hand, put a cd with windows 8 in it, and coulbt get recovery or even install it because it said couldnt find the drivers. so anyways i took my hdd out of my pc which is the same put it in on his, and alos didnt work, like if the hdd got corrupted or something. now i have 2, well 3 hdd's now that cant be read on any pc. i tried plug it in by usb because i have a hdd enclosure and the pc didnt read it or recognizing it.

my question is how cna i get this hdd's to wotk again, i dot care if everything is wiped off, just want to eb able to use my pc and my friends pc again. like i stated i tried plugin n the hdd's via usb and the laptop wasnt reading or recognozing the hdd's. tried magic partiotion and a few other programs which i cant remember the names and never read the hdd's. please im dying to get this hdd's to work. they were working fine before, no physical damage to them, they just probaby got corrupted, just need to have my laptop read them and wipe them and install new windows again, thansk for any replies.

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2015 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hello, and Welcome

When you attached the drive that is not detected internally to the Dell 755 is the drive detected in BIOS? If the drive is not detected in BIOS then no software will detect the drive.

#3 iDon

iDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

Hello, and Welcome

When you attached the drive that is not detected internally to the Dell 755 is the drive detected in BIOS? If the drive is not detected in BIOS then no software will detect the drive.

the thing is they were working fine on their perspective dells. like the one that used to be om both dells mine and my friends they were detected. now in bios. I don't know, how do I get into bios when I turn on the pc? likw where do I look if their detected.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

On a dell BIOS is usually accessed by tapping F2 at boot. If you tap F12 at boot you will get the Dell Diagnostics. You can run that and see if it finds a problem with the drive.

#5 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

Leaving aside the possibility of an infection somewhere...

I guess the drive is ok since it boots. I would try parted magic? https://partedmagic.com/

Will allow to remove and recreate the partitions, file system. Or indeed, erase the first few sectors and make the drive raw again.

Why your mates PC corrupts them is a different matter. It may be the PSU,  as simple as a dodgy SATA cable, or even poor connection. Otherwise, It may be the board. Troubleshooting time.

#6 iDon

iDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:15 AM

Leaving aside the possibility of an infection somewhere...

I guess the drive is ok since it boots. I would try parted magic? https://partedmagic.com/

Will allow to remove and recreate the partitions, file system. Or indeed, erase the first few sectors and make the drive raw again.

Why your mates PC corrupts them is a different matter. It may be the PSU,  as simple as a dodgy SATA cable, or even poor connection. Otherwise, It may be the board. Troubleshooting time.

burn parted magic on a cd then boot it where? on my laptop or at the dells with the hdd's that don't work?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

You would create the bootable disk on your laptop and boot it on the dell with the HDD that does not work but first see if the drive is detected in BIOS. Did you run the F12 diagnostics? Some Dells have diagnostic lights on the front or back of the comptuer. Usually a set of 4.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

Dell computers/ have their Hard drive's /OS system's tied to the motherboard of the system (and I wouldn't doubt of they had some other measure's installed on the hard drive.  Even though your computer is the same model/brand as your friend- it isn't the same components as your friends' computer obviously one is his and one is yours.  The windows installation is tied to the mainboard of the computer you were just asking for trouble.  I would put things back the way they were and then troubleshoot from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users