Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Program Downloads

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

This is a "Computers 101" question...not even sure where I should be posting it,so bear with me! :thumbsup:
Once a program is downloaded,installed and up and running,the "set up" is left sitting in my documents and am wondering if I can just delete it(from my documents)?For instance,a few I have are ewido set up 4.0.0 and ThunderBird set up 1.5.0.4.
Can't really see what good these files are once they are installed,other than just sitting and taking up room on my HD.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

TMacK:

If you are worried about space, and you don't have a reason to keep them, then there shouldn't be a problem with deleting the installation/setup files from My Documents. Just be careful that you only delete installation/setup files, and not your documents or something that you need. Always double and triple check if you are not sure.

Personally, I like to keep install files around for future re-installs, and for setting up friends/relatives computers. I have a folder on my laptop with the installation files, and if I need them, I will load them on my USB key(or make a CD). That way, I don't have to worry about downloading them in a hurry.
JC

#3 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

Thanx for your reply JC.
I love the idea of saving them to a folder and perhaps putting them onto a CD or USB stick!That would be a real time saver with using dial up.
Good plan!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

Listen to Joshuacat on this one Tmack, although it is totally fine to delete the setup file, it can sometimes be an advantage in keeping them, on disc. You could store them on a cd-rw that way you can still delete them if you want.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop and i store a few installation programs on my memory stick as you never know if you will be able to get the programme again,especially if its an older one. Sometimes,not often,but sometimes the older versions are better than the newer ones and if you want to revert back to an older version,you might not be able to find it again on the net. For example i have Sygate firewall, but seeing as this is now not supported,it may soon be hard to find.

Its up to you though,i just like to keep back ups!

Graveangel

:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 08 July 2006 - 10:17 AM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

Having the luxury of a second hard drive, I simply move those installation .exe files to a "backup folder" but one could just as easily move them to a disk; that way, if an application becomes corrupted, or I need to re-install an operating system, I have these handy. Putting them on a disk seems like a good idea, also, for disaster recovery or just to give them to other people.
I also have a "download" folder where I by habit download any application to, and where I can unzip it if need be; putting them in My Documents can become confusing if you have a lot of files there, and having them in one place makes deleting the old zipped files easy.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

Excellent ideas! :thumbsup: I use an external HD for my regular back ups but never thought of it as being such an easy way to store older versions of programs for back up/reinstall!(and discs are cheap!)Think I will also create a "download" folder,to keep things in order.Have never had the opportunity to have a "techie" help me get set up,so I appreciate this kind of advise!
And to think that I didn't really want to ask this "elementary" question!!
I learn so much from BC. Thank you all!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

This is the way I do it:

In the My Documents folder, I have a folder named Installers.
In the Installers folder, I have I, II & III.
(I try to limit the size of these folders to around 600MB. That way I can burn the whole folder to a disk when doing backups.)
In each of those folders, I have folders for each program; Firefox, Ad-aware, Spybot, Irfanview, etc....
In each of these folders, I have a folder for each version; Firebird v0.7, Firefox v0.8, Firefox v0.9, Firefox v0.9.2, etc...
In each of these folders, I put the installers, and a Notepad document.
In the Notepad document, I put all the important info about the program, that I copy & paste from the website, such as program name, version #, URL of the site, how to install/uninstall, system requirements, features, problems I've had with the program, etc...
Then you can burn each Installers folder, when you burn your back-up disks.

That way, if you ever have a problem with a newer version of a program, or have to reinstall your OS, you have all of your programs on disk, and ready to install.
No need to waste time re-downloading all of your programs (especially if you're on dial-up).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

Great organization ideas tg1911!I like the tip about limiting the size of the folder so it will fit onto a disc.
I am definately going to work on this this project today and get everything in order! (Its going to be a scorcher here,so a great time for an inside job!)
Thanx for taking the time to share that with me!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

Don't forget, after a project just as this that involves re-organising, moving and deleting a lot of files, to run checkdisk and then defrag your computer!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Good plan jgweed! Never thought of running checkdisc but I'll be sure to do both when I'm done.
Thanx!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users