I want to start off by saying I am new here, and if you need any more information, please ask and I will try to provide
Please see the end of the post for a quick list of what I have tried, further details are scattered throughout the post.
I have a problem with my computer. I am running Windows Vista, 64 bit, with two GB ram. The computer is a HP Pavilion dv4 entertainment laptop. I use a wired data connection most of the time; if I used wifi in an example, I'll specify that in the given example. I have been expieriencing this problem since about Saturday, June 13th, 2015.
I first noticed my problem when I attempted to load youtube.com in my Firefox browser (32 bit). The website would show the spinning "loading" circle in the top right, however nothing would be loaded.
Checking the Task manager, there was no netowork activity. The Firefox process wasn't using excessive CPU or RAM. Eventually, I noticed that some other websites were not loading properly.
I've recently attempted to load that website in my other installed browsers, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 9, to no avail.
At one point, I ran a Malwarebytes antivirus scan. It found nothing. However, when I proceded with a system restore (to several days before this problem was detected), the problem was fixed. less than 24 hours later, however, the problem is back again. I am currently running an Avast! Free Antivirus 2015 quick scan, and plan on following it with a full scan (which often takes 4+ hours) and will be willing to include any logs the compute rmight have made. However, I have uninstalled Malwarebytes (which was never set to be active; it didn't load at boot, only when I launch it manually from my desktop.)
It is worth mentioning that I have recently used my phone's 3g data connection as my primary internet. All last week I would play Robocraft (through Steam) and World of Tanks (sometimes through steam, sometimes not, particularly when I ran World of Tanks along with Teamspeak. 2gb ram issue...).
It is also worth mentioning that I did not notice this issue until after I installed Teamspeak. However, Teamspeak was uninstalled during my system restore, and I can't download it again due to the browser not loading the website.
On a side note, I recently installed Ubuntu as a side Operating System (dual boot), however I did this as a response to the browser not loading websites, and it was done after the system restore.
I belive it is also worth mentioning a little history as to the computer; particularly, that I do not know much. I inheritied the laptop from my dad's file cabinet, where it had been stored in the garage for several years (the better part of the laptop's life, I'd reckon). When I recieved it, it had a number of issues with malware. This prompted me to search and destroy; coming across a bleepingcomputer.com post, I ended up using a combination of Rougekiller, Adwclearner, Malwarebytes, and Combofixer to fix most, if not all, of the problems. At any rate, I saw no more problems with how it ran, pardoning its lack of ram and disk speed creating a bottleneck. Ever since then, I have had Avast! Free Antivirus running. Please note: It has been nearly a year since I used these tools, and I do not believe that they are causing the issue at hand.
On a seperate note, several months ago, I found out that Rougekiller had the ability to reset some redirect files on my computer. I went ahead and did that. I don't remember clearly, it had something to do with "malware sometimes will redirect your computer from a legit website (google.com) to a different website (xxx.com). Roguekiller can reset the file in windows that the malware has edited to default, and therefore rid any false redirects." The process of using rougekiller to reset the file went by without any major hiccups. There was no obvious change in the behavor of the internet on my computer.
I hope all of this information is helpful! I'm open to suggestions, helpful tips, and as always, if you give me directions and request a log posted or something, I'm totally up for that!
I'll probably post tomorrow if there were any results on the antivirus scan I am currently running.
At some point, I recall getting a "error: connection was reset" error, I believe from firefox, but I cannot remember how I got it, how to replicate it, or if the error was a result of me doing something stuipd (such as unplugging the Ethernet cord to switch to wifi, but leaving the wifi disabled by accident.)
**Known affected websites so far**
bleepingcomputer.com (BleepingComputer was affected before the system restore, but it works right now. I am currently posting this topic from another computer.)
google.com (navigating to the page, however the google search toolbar in firefox still works)
-Using a google search to get to an affected page is not a workaround; the webpage still fails to load.
**What I have done so far to combat this issue**
-Rebooted the computer
-Switch between WiFi and Ethernet connections
-Used different browsers
-Run a Malwarebytes scan
-Run an Antivirus scan using Avast! (Currently...)
-Installed Ubuntu, as a "Jump-ship" backup plan
-Uninstalled many programs (primarily to achieve enough space to do the above)
It is worth noting that my comptuer has never experienced such issues before.