Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Comments on my PC build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sam000lee

sam000lee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

Here's the PC parts picker info: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K2L4Q7. My main needs are fast processing in MATLAB. I'm not really a game person, but do use some software that is for visualizing graphics so it would be nice to have decent graphics capabilities. Here are my main questions:

1. Can I just use the onboard graphics or will they be terrible? Does anybody have experience using onboard graphics and changing BIOS settings to make them a little better? Is the cheapo graphics card I put in there going to be much better than the onboard graphics if I dedicate 1GB of memory to them. 

2. I havn't done this in a while - there's not anything wierd going to happen with fitting the power supply/motherboard or anything else in the case, right? (I know this is a stupid question)

3. Other comments?

4. Another easy one - Can I use dual monitors, one VGA and one DVI with the outputs from either the motherboard or the graphics card included?

$176.98

$79.89

$59.88

$49.99

$49.99

$87.99 -$20.0

$43.99

$49.99 -$17.49

All in all it's a $560 build with the graphics card and $500 without it which I think isn't too bad.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

Engineering and CAD applications work better with with nVidia cards.  I don't know how much MATLAB uses or can use the video card.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:35 AM

According to Mathworks here, you can use MATLAB with GPU's through the Parallel Computing Toolbox.  Based on what little I've read at their website, it seems to favor CUDA-enabled GPU's from Nvidia. The more CUDA cores you use, the faster the performance should be.  I'm not very familiar with CAD applications.

3939.png

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hello Sam-  You will and can use the R7 card for dual displays.. it actually supports 3 with one displayport output.  You will not need to use the onboard graphics and yes they will be terrible if you do.  You can go into the bios and usually select how much ram you want to dedicate to the onboard graphics and I suggest you use the lowest amount since all you would need it for is troubleshooting purposes.  I suggest getting a 250GB SSD simply because after you install windows / updates / graphics drivers / motherboard tools / anti virus / anti malware / and maybe one or two programs you want to use... Your going to run out of room rather quickly on that SSD.  Also for about 20 dollars more you can get a 2 TB hard drive so.... seems to me for the little extra you get much more extra hard drive space.  The R7 recommends a 500 watt psu and I do like your choice in semi modular.  I didn't see a DVD drive on your list but try to get one that is at least SATA II compliant or better still SATA III. I also did not see an operating system listed.  Other than that - it seems you have a nice build going- Cheers !

#5 sam000lee

sam000lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks thats very helpful. I chose the 430 watt PSU since the PC parts picker rated the system at less than 300W, is it really necessary to get up to the full 500W recommended for the video card? I have an old DVD drive I'm throwing in and already have software!

So you think that R7 card sounds alright? I'm open to suggestions on other cards at around that price.

Edited by sam000lee, 16 June 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

Well its just me but I wouldn't go and cry wolf if you have system problems and you didn't get the recommended PSU.  It may work just fine, or you may have problems.  I guess it is a tossup.  I think the R7 is fine for that price.. to go better you would end up spending 100.00 more for the Nvidia GTX770.

#7 sam000lee

sam000lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

I'm going to take both of your advice. Sticking with the R7 card and upgraded the PSU to the Corsair CX 600 Semi-Modular. Here's the latest list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dhnwf7

Thanks guys!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

Matlab's Parallel Computing Platform requires a CUDA-enabled GPU from Nvidia to perform GPU processing, so you may be better off with an Nvidia GPU if you use this software heavily.  Here's the link to the requirements.  I suggest the ZOTAC ZT-70603-10M GeForce GTX 750 Ti, which is about $100.  That GPU listed in your build is out of stock at Superbiiz as of this post.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users