Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The white connectors inside the computer...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 subzero22

subzero22

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

While working on my computer one of the small wires got loose on those connectors (what are they called anyway?). Well I pluged it back in but to the wrong one by accident. My video card takes two of the white connectors so do I have to somehow take it back out and if so how? Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about. There should be 3 on each one but they are both to my video card.

www.4gp.tw/ba3d/1434405849951.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

1434405849951.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

It is called a molex connector and normally goes to older hard drives and fans.

Are you saying that each one should have a yellow, a black, and a brown?

I don't know what the brown one is for, or where it goes.  Normally if there are only the yellow and the black it is just for power and is normally used for a fan connection.

#4 subzero22

subzero22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:31 AM

No I bought a video card recently and both of those come out of it. Just somehow that brown one got loose and Ya both should have a yellow black and brown. It's wierd though as most of the cords I see have 4 in each not just 2 or 3 that are like that.

Well any tips on how to get it out to put into the other one?

#5 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:07 AM

They look like molex plugs rather than line sockets (which may throw people looking at the photo).

Anyway look carefully at the sides of the pins (from the pin end), you will be able to see a one or two flaps spring out of the side,of the pin, and the open end of the flap catches on the inside of the plastic body.

It's very tricky to do, but you can use jewellers screwdrivers to retract the flaps and gently pull the wire out (once the flaps are properly compressed inwards towards the pin, very little force will be necessary to extract the pin).

It helps to either grow a couple more hands for this operation, or to use a Vice to hold the plug body and recruit a helper to gently pull the wire out when you push the flaps in.

For line sockets the operation is similar, but use smaller screwdrivers so that you do not distort the round metal socket insert.

x64

#6 subzero22

subzero22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:20 AM

Oh wow worked perfectly thanks. I have some really long/thin screwdrivers for when working on my pc for the hard to reach places at times lol. Not as thin but almost as jeweler screwdrivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users