Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats better than Dropbox server with file sharing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 purpleboxuk

purpleboxuk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

I'm managing a small company with about 15 PC's, they use Dropbox to store all their data. I have Dropbox downloaded onto a regular PC and shared it on the network, it's OK but i want to upgrade to something more stable like a NAS, the PC sometimes shuts down / BSOD etc... What would be a good way forward without running a full on server (because of costs). Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hi :welcome: to BC,

I have some Synology NAS at my work, besides several other applications they have one that works similar to Dropbox called Cloud Station that stores the data on the NAS.

Synology have a live Demo to play with the OS...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

One major issue you have bringing it in house is the data is no longer stored off site.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

whatever you decide make sure to backup your data.

I have nas's at home and they are all mirrored.  Because I care about my data and don't want to lose it if one drive dies.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:37 AM

One major issue you have bringing it in house is the data is no longer stored off site.

Yes the data should also be stored off-site we can/should continue to use Dropbox or any other backup service.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 purpleboxuk

purpleboxuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

No no ill keep using Dropbox, is there a way of getting dropbox onto the NAS and sharing that instead of having it on a PC?

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:51 AM

No no ill keep using Dropbox, is there a way of getting dropbox onto the NAS and sharing that instead of having it on a PC?

Yes it have a package called Cloud Sync http://www.macdrifter.com/2014/03/synology-sync-with-dropbox-and-google-drive.html

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users