Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007 on the same computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 achek

achek

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

Hello to all good people :)
 Can you help me with this issue? Want to install both Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007 on one mashine. Is it possible such an effort ? :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by achek, 15 June 2015 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

It should be okay, but you'll have to be very careful how you do the installation:

1.  Watch every step, do NOT accept the defaults all the time. 

2.  Install 2003 first, if you've not done it already. 

3. The first thing you're asked, is WHERE to install.  Create a new folder name, instead.  So at the end of the path it gives you, instead of accepting 'Microsoft Office', instead type something like 'MSO2003' or whatever you'll easily remember.  MS always installs multiple nested directories with the same names, so if you're gonna use two versions, you want to change the ending folder name of at least, one of them.  (I have, for example, MS Office 2002 and 2003 on the same machine, so I renamed one of the directories MSO02, for that reason.)

4.  After installation, shut down, go walk for a few minutes and then turn the machine on again (soft reboot doesn't work well with Office).

5.  Do something else on your machine for awhile, don't just do the next thing as the 2007 installation.  Give Windows time to 'populate' all its references with recognition of the new installation.

6.  So maybe after an hour or so, you can now install 2007.  It will notice that you have 2003 installed, and offer to replace it.  Say no to that.

7.  It too will present you with a default directory which is the same as the default you saw in #3, and again you want to specify a unique other name, maybe 'MS2007' or something different enough, that you won't confuse the two directories.  It's really important you do this, as MS Office retains much of the same file structure in both versions, and it's easy for the program to mistakenly 'call on' the wrong file if two versions.

8.  Now, depending on what features you chose to install in 2003, maybe do different ones in 2007.  Like, if you didn't install Outlook 2003, do install Outlook 2007.  That's not mandatory, but I find certain of the MS stuff is better earlier versus later (like, MS Excel 2007 is better than 2003, but everything else 2003 is better than 2007, though Excel 2003 is easier to use, and Windows 7 can't work with Outlook 2003, it often bombs).

9.  If you're using Linux to install them, then you want to instead first install Wine, and then follow the steps here.

10.  One other caveat.  All your Word settings are stored by MS Office in 'Normal.dot'.  Search for that file and copy it somewhere safe.  Note where it is, too.  Make a shortcut to that original file.  If ever there's a problem when you load Word again, you can copy the copy back to the original.  This matters, for sometimes I've had one version of Word 'tap' the wrong Normal.dot, and I lost all my settings (how this happened I don't know).  It shouldn't happen between 2007 and 2003, because 2007 uses docx.

11.  Google for 'fileconverters.exe', a free download from Microsoft which will allow 2003 to read files later than its version.  Else you won't be able to read 2007 files in 2003.

12. Don't edit a file in 2007 and then edit it in 2003, even though 2003 can read it, as you'll lose formatting you had in 2007. OR, set up 2007 to always use 2003 formatting.  I don't know how you do this in 2007, but there is a way.  Problem is, folks you send files to might not accept them if in 2003's 'doc' format.  In which case, you may want to convert them to pdf before emailing.  2007, if I recall, has a convert to pdf function, but there are a ton of pdf converters out there.  My favorite one (and the ONLY one which works with US Government forms), is Smart PDF Creator Pro. That program works in Windows 7, but sometimes Windows updates trash it.  If so, you have to reinstall (so keep the setup file you get when you buy the program or use its free version).

Does this explanation help?  If not, yell at me here or in vimeo, same nickname.

Edited by brainout, 27 June 2015 - 11:38 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users