Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slow. Depending On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rblass

rblass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

HP model 6735.windows ME. Get this one. The computer was gradually slowing down. Tried many things to speed it up but couldn't find out why. Accidently, i found that while playing spider solitare(which had slowed down considerably) if i opened an internet window and then hid it while playing solitare the game speed increased back to the full speed it used to run at. So, i tried it while surfing the net and it also improved the speed. Why does having an internet window open and hidden improve the speed of my game and surfing the web?
Have run adaware/spybot/and virus check, no change. Also, erased hard drive and reloaded orig. software. Still the same. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

What are the specfication for your computer? RAM, proccessor, HD (used/unused/total),..?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:57 AM

It sounds like a ram leak to me... Usually the only way to fix that (to my limited knowledge) is to not use a program that causes it... do you use a file sharing program?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:11 PM

A slow computer can be caused by many things, the most common of which are listed in the troubleshooting checklist below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

By 'gradually slowing down" do you mean over the last months, or each time you use it?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 rblass

rblass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

i do not use any file sharing programs. let's forget about the gradually slowing down part. let's just say that it runs slower when an IE window is not open when playing spider solitare and when surfing.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

Are you on dial-up or high-speed connection? I have an inkling it might be malware . . .

#7 rblass

rblass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

high speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users