Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

Currently, I've given up on ZA Free... my firewall right now is Sunbelt Kerio (I'm thinking of trying out Comodo's Free Firewall). When I installed the latest version of ZA Free from Zonelabs, my system would take forever to shut down, startup, load the desktop after I log on, etc. All in all ZA Free firewall slowed down my computer to a point where switching back to Windows Firewall or another firewall would be a much better option. Has anyone else experienced these such problems with ZA's Free Firewall?

PS: Older versions of ZA Free did fine with my computer, but the new one seems to stir trouble.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

As a matter of fact, YES....I installed the free version of ZA this morning, and not only did it slow everything down to a crawl, but I also had problems hitting Google and Yahoo....uninstalled it right away..

#3 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

Yes I was having some problems with ZA Free also, not being able to access certain sites, playing my MMORPG, and online poker.

I checked out the ZoneLabs.com forums and discovered a lot of threads about problems with the new update. You'll see one of the admininstrators SLYFOX posting a lot, trying to help people out. That's gotta be a tough job.

Anyhoo, I might be switching to Kerio also, not sure yet.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:45 PM

I haven't had any probs. I'm using the latest ZoneAlarm Security Suite so I'm not sure if it is the same firewall that is in ZA Free. It doesn't slow down my system like Norton or McAffee did but lately when I shut down I get an end program dialog box, almost as though the program crashed at shut down. But it goes away after about two seconds so I'm not too worried about it.

3939.png

#5 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:34 AM

I was using the free version with no problems and liked it enough to pay for it. when the subscription finnished I
bought the ZA security suite and installed this in place of Panda Titanium 2006 which I really dont like as it clashed with other programs and generally didn't work very well. But now I get an end program dialog box on shutdown like DJBPace07 does and up until now I wasn't sure what was causing it. Now I know ! doesn't seem to be causing a problem though. Not to sure how to stop this happening.

Leeboy

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

They may fix this problem with a future release of the Suite but since it's not causing probs I would just ignore issue.

3939.png

#7 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:48 AM

Interesting... it seems that the ZA Security Suite is having no problems (no surprise there becauase they wouldn't be able to sell a problem causing suite); however, it appears that the free users are having problems. Hopefully they'll fix it up for us freebie hounds so that I can use their free firewall and recommend it to others. At the moment, I am rather unsatisfied with ZA, will not recommend their free firewall to others, and am using Sunblet Kerio's Free Firewall which is working excellently.
Stanford '14

#8 Soze

Soze

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

Well this thread confirms what I have suspected, I have been having major problems due to ZA free- the new version.
For instance - lots of blue screens, unable to log off.
Also unable to remove ZA, when I try, lose all access to everything.
Unable to even do a system restore.

Well, finally got it off (long scary story) , so now I have to find a new firewall to replace the ineffective WF.
What are the best free firewalls this side of ZA?
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

#9 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

1. Sygate Free Firewall
2. Sunbelt Kerio Free Firewall
3. Outpost Firewall Free
4. Comodo Free Firewall

Some side notes:

1. The links for Sygate & Sunbelt take you to their Filehippo download mirror.
2. Comodo Free Firewall is a rather new firewall from the new security freeware company, Comodo.
3. Currently, I am using Sunbelt Free as mentioned; however, many people (including a large portion of the pros here) use Sygate Free although Sygate has now been bought by Symantec and its free firewall has now been cut off from all updates and support.
Stanford '14

#10 Soze

Soze

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

Thanks,
I DL kerio FW and will be trying that out for now.
Seems to use alot less resources than the ZA did. I went with the default settings rather than the learn as you go. Any advice here?

As an aside, my IT guy at work says he doesn't use any FW beyond Windows FW, trusting to this and his router/ISP to "protect".

Edited by Soze, 13 July 2006 - 09:09 AM.

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users