Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tyransaurus

Tyransaurus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

I have an Asus windows 8.1 Laptop I have tried many options for it but whenever I boot it, it pops with a black screen and stays there. There is nothing else on the screen and I can't get anything to work

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Can you boot to the recovery tools?

At what point does the black screen pop up?  Are you able to log in before this happens?  If so, try holding down "Shift" while you shutdown from the login screen.

Then try System Restore to a point before the black screen started.

If that doesn't work, then try a Refresh

If that doesn't work, then try a Reset (this will wipe everything off of the disk - all your files will be erased).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Tyransaurus

Tyransaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

Can you boot to the recovery tools?
At what point does the black screen pop up?  Are you able to log in before this happens?  If so, try holding down "Shift" while you shutdown from the login screen.

Then try System Restore to a point before the black screen started.
If that doesn't work, then try a Refresh
If that doesn't work, then try a Reset (this will wipe everything off of the disk - all your files will be erased).

I can't get on anything and as soon as I turn it on it stays black and never changes. I can't reset or reboot since I don't have a disc that goes with it and shift doesn't work either

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:04 AM

Have you tried an external monitor (if it has a port for that)?

If you're unable to even see the Asus screen when booting, I'd suggest having a technician take a look at it.  Some shops will give a free estimate before attempting repairs.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Tyransaurus

Tyransaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Have you tried an external monitor (if it has a port for that)?

If you're unable to even see the Asus screen when booting, I'd suggest having a technician take a look at it.  Some shops will give a free estimate before attempting repairs.

Hm I don't know any technician stores for imputed can you list some plz and also what do you mean by external ports

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:01 AM

Some laptops have either a VGA port or an HDMI port on the side

Images of VGA plugs here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=vga&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ysSPVYrFHsjs-AGkxYCgDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=758

Images of HDMI plugs here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi&biw=1600&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JsWPVerHBoH4-AGDwYC4Cg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

They will allow you to connect to an external monitor and see if there is a picture.

This will let you know if there's just no signal getting to the monitor on the laptop - or if the laptop monitor on the laptop is bad (if you see things on the external monitor).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users