Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cd/dvd Drive Not Reading Any Discs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AZmog

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hi there I have been living with a problem with my computer for ages now and thought that maybe someone here could give me a bit of help.

my cd/dvd drive does not read or write to any discs. It has been this way for quite sometime and I now desperately need my drive to work so I can fix my ms office apps with the cd.

When I put a CD into the drive I get the little cd icon on the desktop for a minute or so and the light on the drive flashes for a while and then everything stops. It doesn't matter if it is a music cd, software or a blank.

If I go to my computer and click on the d: drive it asks me to put a disc in the drive when there is a perfectly fine disc already in there.

My drive is a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B and the driver seems to be up to date.

I am running XP sp2 on a Asus K8N-E Deluxe MB and 512 ram.

I used to have Nero installed as well as a different program (don't remember the name), they are no longer on the computer.

If there is someone out there who can help me I would be much appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

It is most like one of two things. 1) The lens may be dirty. Buy and use an inexpensive optical drive cleaning disc to take off any dirt and dust from the lens. 2) The drive may have died. Fortunately, optical drives have become very inexpensive in the last few months.

NEC ND-3550A Black

NEC ND-3550A Beige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users