Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows\System32\Config\System missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sami Chada

Sami Chada

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:28 AM

Hello,

I have a Dell laptop with Windowns XP on it.

I got the following problem. Please see picture 1. After searching for a solution, I came across this video and followed the instructions to the letter ( )

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

STAGE 1:

md tmp

STAGE 2:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

STAGE 3:

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

STAGE 4:

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

=================

it almost worked. BUT,  when I reached STAGE 4:

I typed : copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

I get the message' the system cannot not find the file specified'.

I tried the last 4 remaining commandes in STAGE 4  to see whether I would still get the same error message. Unfortunately, I did.

I am confused that the last 5 commands (in blue) did not give me the results I was supposed to get as shown in the video.

=====================

Please help

Thank you

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   30.23KB   0 downloads

Edited by Sami Chada, 15 June 2015 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

Good morning :).

Although youtube videos can provide good guidance for resolving some computer situations, you may want to take a look at the following:

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504565/windows-could-not-start-following-file-is-missing-or-corrupt/?p=3255023

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

Taking your registry Hives from the repair directory is not the optimal solution. That directory is created when XP is installed and does not include any updates after install so even if you got Windows to boot none of your installed programs would run. The best option is to copy the registry Hives from your System Restore Location. This would only work if you had System Restore Enabled.

See this post. You will need to create a bootable disk of Parted Magic mentioned in the other thread on another computer. You will need to download it and burn the iso file. This can be done on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You could also do this with a Hirens CD if you can find the iso file to download and use the minixp option.

Whatever the case you can use Parted Magic to copy any files from your hard drive to an external drive or USB flash drive.

#4 Sami Chada

Sami Chada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for your reply and for your time.

The first two links are not working while the 3rd one related to a post in Bleeping computer website is working. Thanks!

Please know that before I executed the instructions of the solution mentioned in my 1st post, It was not only posted over youtube in the link provided above, but It was also posted in Microsoft webpage: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307545

So,  I suppose I have been cautions enough before deciding to apply this solution. So, if you read the instructions of the solution, the logic behind is:

At the Recovery Console,

STAGE 1- create a temporary folder,

STAGE 2- back up the existing registry files to a new location,

STAGE 3- delete the registry files at their existing location,

STAGE 4- copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder.

From Stage 2 to Stage 4, there 5 lines as shown in my 1st post

So, ALL the first three stages went well.  My problem is in stage 4, why when  I typed any line of this stage (please see 1st post the lines in blue)

I got the message' the system cannot not find the file specified'.

I need help how to go further  based on what I described especially that I already created a temp folder, backed up  the existing registry files to a new location, deleted the registry files at their existing location, BUT copying the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder FAILED.

So, I am scared to start a new solution before sorting out this issue.

Thank you

Edited by Sami Chada, 15 June 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

I forgot to mention. Tap F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Good Configuration. That may bring the computer back.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 June 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#6 Sami Chada

Sami Chada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

Taking your registry Hives from the repair directory is not the optimal solution. That directory is created when XP is installed and does not include any updates after install so even if you got Windows to boot none of your installed programs would run. The best option is to copy the registry Hives from your System Restore Location. This would only work if you had System Restore Enabled.

See this post. You will need to create a bootable disk of Parted Magic mentioned in the other thread on another computer. You will need to download it and burn the iso file. This can be done on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You could also do this with a Hirens CD if you can find the iso file to download and use the minixp option.

Whatever the case you can use Parted Magic to copy any files from your hard drive to an external drive or USB flash drive.

Thank you John for your answer. I believe I have System Restore Enabled. The problem I cannot even start WINDOWS XP. So,how can i copy the registry Hives from System Restore Location.....

The solution I described is in MICROSOFT Support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307545

If you visit the link, you will see I am at PART ONE of the solution which contains 4 stages as described in my 1st post. I am stuck at stage 4 of PART one. I explained further in detail in my reply to Louis.

How can I solve the issue based on what I already especially that I already created a temp folder, backed up  the existing registry files to a new location, deleted the registry files at their existing location, BUT  copying the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder FAILED.

Thank you.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

Don't worry about the temp folder. You only need to copy the hives from the System Restore Directory to the config folder but you will need to do it with a bootable disk as your computer does not boot. Parted Magic is a linux based OS. Once you burn that on another computer you will boot it and follow the instructions. You already renamed your Registry Hives so the only thing that remains is to copy the hives from the System Restore Directory to the config directory and rename them.

Did you try using Last Known Configuration.

#8 Sami Chada

Sami Chada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:21 AM

Don't worry about the temp folder. You only need to copy the hives from the System Restore Directory to the config folder but you will need to do it with a bootable disk as your computer does not boot. Parted Magic is a linux based OS. Once you burn that on another computer you will boot it and follow the instructions. You already renamed your Registry Hives so the only thing that remains is to copy the hives from the System Restore Directory to the config directory and rename them.

Did you try using Last Known Configuration.

Hi John,

Thank you for trying to help me..

I tried Last Known Configuration.before but It did not get me anywhere. When I did try it, I was transferred to a screen saying to choose the following operating system: MICROSOFT  XP EMBEDDED...When I clicked ENTER, I was transferred to the black screen (please see photo). So, back to square one.

As for the temp folder, I am not worried about it. What it is making me anxious was that I deleted the registry files at their existing location. It's true that after I created a temp folder, I backed up  the existing registry files to a new location and yet I could not copy

the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. I described in detail in my reply to Louis what I did.

So, based on what I did, can I still go ahead with the solution you proposed? I did have a look at it. It is quite technical. I have to read more than once to get it. But before that, reassume me to what extent I can still go ahead with your proposed solution based on what I already did in the solution I followed 1st time?

Thank you so much,

H.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   30.23KB   0 downloads

Edited by Sami Chada, 16 June 2015 - 03:24 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Yes, go ahead and try Parted Magic. It's looks harder than it is. You are simply going to copy files from the System Restore location to the config folder and then rename them.

You would open the file manager in Parted Magic by double clicking the File Manager Icon in the upper left of the desktop and browse to \System Volume Information. In that folder is a subfolder beginning with the word restore and after restore is a long alpha numeric number enclosed in brackets  . Double click that folder and you will see numerous folders being with RP. Double click the one that has a date before your problem. In that folder you will another folder called snapshot. (Sorry, I left that out of the other guide) In the snapshot folder is the following folders.

_registry_user_.default
_registry_machine_security
_registry_machine_software
_registry_machine_system
_registry_machine_sam

Now you will copy these files to Windows\System32\Config

After you have copied them then rename them. You can rename them by right clicking the file name with Partition Wizard.

_registry_user_.default  to  default
_registry_machine_security   to  security
_registry_machine_software  to  software
_registry_machine_system   to   system
_registry_machine_sam  to  sam

Reboot the computer and hopefully Windows will start.

Note: This can also be done with a Hirens boot disk which is a little easier to use because it is based on XP. See the following guide for a walkthrough.

http://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-xp-registry-missing-corrupted-error/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users