Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Dell 2350d Printer Drivers with Gdebi

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:03 AM

I would like to install this driver for a second printer that I want to use at work.  I have the driver downloaded and checked the md5sum at the official Dell site.  I just want to make sure that it is as simple as it seems to be, with the info that hollowface has provided me here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579335/some-packages-wont-run/page-3#entry3734579

Is there anything that I need to know before I do this.  I have a good Timeshift backup and do this frequently in case there are any issues.

If I understand correctly, this will just install and will be available when I plug in the printer.  Other than finding the set-up info, which I can do myself, will all be pretty smooth?  I am in no hurry, but we use these printers all the time as they seem pretty common at all sites I work.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

pcpunk, you can plug in the printer & power it on after booting the computer, there's a 50/50 chance it may install itself. 

While this may now work, it's still worth trying, however at best, it's going to print only & not scan, fax or whatever needed.                  

One note on Linux printing, many newer HP printers seems to work better than any on Linux installs with minimal setup needed.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

pcpunk, you can plug in the printer & power it on after booting the computer, there's a 50/50 chance it may install itself. 

While this may now work, it's still worth trying, however at best, it's going to print only & not scan, fax or whatever needed.                  

One note on Linux printing, many newer HP printers seems to work better than any on Linux installs with minimal setup needed.

Cat

Okay cat, I'll get it figured out for sure.  I would however like to know what you mean by "install itself"  Are you saying that it will find and install the driver that I have downloaded to my "Downloads" file? or, it will go online to find what is needed?  Because I looked and it is not provided in any repositories, that I could find at least.

Agreed that booting up first and see if it is smart enough to install itself is the way to go to start.  I see, it don't scan or print anyhow, just print.  If this don't work, I will just use the gdebi and find out for myself how well it works.  Just don't want to mess up any work stuff.

One thing you might like to know, my HP Printer, that is not supported, scans also.  Like you said it's probably because it is an HP.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

I would however like to know what you mean by "install itself"  

By having your printer plugged into the computer, booting it, and after 30 seconds or so, turning on the printer. Sometimes, one will simply find the drivers on it's own & self install. Others, and I don't have a snapshot, so can't provide one, you go into Administration > Printers & from there, add yours. You'll have to be a little self reliant here, so if it doesn't self install, go to where I just pointed in the last sentence, and see if any printers are showing. If so, make it default, if it's the one you mention. 

There's a driver list in the 'Add' function, though to possibly save some steps, be sure to check your Driver Manager first. Anyway, on that driver list, you just choose your make, then model, of printer & it may it may not offer drivers. Keep in mind, the newer the printer, the better, just as wireless & graphics cards. 

Plus there are some .deb installer files for some printers (though you must search for these), which makes the whole deal a breeze, however this isn't the norm, nor do I know how to convert .exe files into .deb ones, other than I've read it's a long & tiring process that may or may not produce the desired effect. And note, as you likely already know, that all of the functions of a printer designed for Windows won't do so on a Linux OS. You'll be able to have print & scan management, and possibly Fax, if it has that function. 

Speciality effects such as correcting skin tone, removal of red eyes or color restoration with photos, forget it. Any of this has to be done with Linux software designed for the job. I doubt that even HP extends all of these apps to Linux users. 

I have the driver downloaded and checked the md5sum at the official Dell site. 

If this isn't a native Linux file, you're going to run into troubles. As I stated prior, conversion of .exe to .deb files is difficult & not an exact science. In a perfect world, it would be, installing everything with a single .deb file & having all of the native functions (& bloat) that comes with the printers, that up to (on some models) a 300MiB .exe file is required. 

I'm a Linux user, not really a student steadily wanting to learn every trick in the book, so I cannot provide answers as to file conversion questions. When I need to learn something for my own use, I'll research & if can't find an answer, will ask here. Other than that, I just run the OS as is after it's setup the way I like it. 

Though I still also have an open Topic of my own in regards to printing, the way it's looking, will address it when it's time for a new printer, with a true wireless one. Seems like no one has an answer for sharing a USB printer over a share port on the back of a Linksys router designed for that purpose on Windows & Mac, have tried many things to no avail. Yet I can fire up a Windows 7 VM that's installed inside of Mint's /home partition & print like mad. I don't 'get it', everything that travels to these VM's does so through the OS it's installed on. 

Even my Bluetooth 4.0 connection, which is part of my wireless card, shows on VMware Player VM's if enabled, yet doesn't on Linux Mint, though there's likely software in the Package Manager to make it work & be displayed. I suppose that's the 'point to point' device that shows as not configured in the Network settings. That's not an issue for me, as I have it disabled anyway on Windows, an open BT connection could be an invitation to intrusion. Unlike the wireless card's connection, BT signal doesn't go through the router's Firewall, which I have fairly well secured. A device can simply pair to it, if the one on the other end knows what to do to mate it.

Let us know when you get that printer configured & the steps that were needed, it may assist others. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:53 PM

Thanks cat, that was interesting.  Yes, the Driver is a linux one! I have learned that much lol.  Dell has some pretty good support, as I suspect that they have many linux customers.  Almost every site I go to uses one of these printers, probably because of the cost and output ability.  Had this same printer setup a while back on XP install, along with the extensive Manual.  This is where I got it:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=62MV7

Here are the instructions, I really need to learn how to do this!

Download .zip file.

Extract and install PPD files.

For more instructions, please refer to "Readme-PPD-DKACH.txt" in the zip folder.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

Gdebi is just for DEB files. I don't have a Dell printer so I can't provide any insight into performing the installation, but according to the text file it sounds like you'll be installing using a shell script (.sh file), or by manually copying files to different locations. This driver is a bit on the old side (Ubuntu 8.04 is the most recent version of Ubuntu it lists).

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for pointing that out HF, the deb. file thing.  

Can you assist with the installation?

Can I open the file and read that Readme doc? then what do I do after it is read, just leave those files all open where they are until I need them.

I'm guessing/hoping that the age of the driver is not an issue, last updated on 05 Mar 2013.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:53 AM

Can you assist with the installation?

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with installing printers under Linux, or with Dell printers in particular, so I'm not sure what you should expect once you execute the shell script.

Can I open the file and read that Readme doc?

Yes, it's just a text file, you can open it in any basic text editor; kate, gedit, leafpad. I'm not sure what the default text editor is on Linux Mint KDE.

I'm guessing/hoping that the age of the driver is not an issue

Hopefully.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

Just as I was afraid of, it looks really complicated!  I did not have to open the file as I have done before.  I right clicked on it and chose "Open with Ark archiver" very nice.  I then went back and tried to open with "Kate" but it would not open it.  Directions seem very good but my understanding is not good enough for this.  I wonder where I can learn this type of stuff, don't really want to learn every thing all at once, but installing drivers would be one important thing to learn for me.

14sfi2u.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:23 AM

Extract the archive's contents, then you should be able to open the text file in Kate.

I downloaded the zip, and did a test install. It was very straight forward. I don't know if it was successful though as I don't have a printer to test. Here's the output of my terminal commands:

example1@example ~ $ cd ~/Downloads
example1@example ~/Downloads $ unzip 2350_Linux.zip
example1@example ~/Downloads $ cd 2350_Linux
example1@example ~/Downloads/2350_Linux $ uncompress PPD-Files-DKACH.tar.Z
example1@example ~/Downloads/2350_Linux $ tar -xpf PPD-Files-DKACH.tar
example1@example ~/Downloads/2350_Linux $ cd ppd_files
example1@example ~/Downloads/2350_Linux/ppd_files $ sudo -i
[sudo] password for example1:
example ~ # cd /home/example1/Downloads/2350_Linux/ppd_files
example ppd_files # ./install_ppd.sh

You must agree to the terms of the End-User License Agreement.
To Accept the license agreement, type 'agree' and press <enter>.
::agree

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dell PPD Installation Utility for Linux
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

License agreement has been accepted.
You may now continue with the installation.

This utility will install PPD files.

You will be prompted before installing or replacing
each PPD file.

Press ENTER to continue ...

Installing Dell_2330d_Laser_Printer.ppd ... Done
    Installing Dell_2330dn_Laser_Printer.ppd ... Done
    Installing Dell_2350d_Laser_Printer.ppd ... Done
    Installing Dell_2350dn_Laser_Printer.ppd ... Done

Restart CUPS to complete the installation (y|n)? : [y] y
 * Restarting Common Unix Printing System cupsd                          [ OK ]

Installation complete.

example ppd_files # exit
logout
example1@example ~/Downloads/2350_Linux/ppd_files $ cd ~/
example1@example ~ $

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:25 AM

Thank you very much hollowface!  I will attempt this but I am not following the instructions/outcomes that you provided, I'm clueless as to even the first step.  

Why do I see example1@example on each line?

This looks like your input, not the output of your terminal commands? example1@example ~ $ cd ~/Downloads  Or, is this the output of the first command at #1 on Instructions.  Cannot copy paste with Ark so will come back after I Backup system and Extract zip file.

1. How do I extract, there are at least two logical options: "Extract Archive Here" and  "Extract Archive Here, Auto Detect Subfolder"  I will do this in Downloads.

I'll stop here for now and backup my system, come back and attempt this, thank you!

Edited by pcpunk, 19 June 2015 - 02:27 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:26 AM

pcpunk, hollowface has laid this out as simple as it gets! :)

Hopefully you'll be able to use it was shown. Let us know if it was a success or not, so what we'll have the answer in our database. 

Cat

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:55 AM

Hopefully you'll be able to use it was shown. Let us know if it was a success or not, so what we'll have the answer in our database. 

Cat

Okay then, explain to me what the first move is if you understand it?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

example1 is hollowface's username.

example is the name of the system.

example1@example ~ $ cd ~/Downloads
This means that user example1, on system example, is changing directory to ~/Downloads

You will see in the next line:

example1@example ~/Downloads $
that the directory has been changed to ~/Downloads

Edited by Al1000, 19 June 2015 - 03:05 AM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:25 AM

Cat

Okay then, explain to me what the first move is if you understand it?

pcpunk, all that I was saying was that you've received an answer, from a more knowledgeable member than myself, and I hope that it works out for you. Though you have to place the effort forward to make this work by following advice. 

As far as understanding it, I don't need to, it's not my printer, though since you created the Topic & are getting responses, it's only fair that you share if it works or not. We are a community, after all. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users