Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to see FULL filename INCLUDING hidden path in Win7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ulrichburke

ulrichburke

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Dear Anyone.

OK, easy one for you geeks (I hope!) - I know a filename as the name/extension you CAN see and also its path which is usually hidden but is there as part of the name even though you can't see it (if I'm wrong in any of this just tell me!)

I've rescued stuff off an old hard drive and in my Win7 drive its saying folders are empty even though I can see lists of files in them. I'm pretty sure none of them are viruses hiding stuff or anything like that. I've tried renaming them and if I type more than about 3 letters it bleeps and won't let me add any more letters, even though I got the whole old name highlighted.  I'm wondering if that's because the hidden path part is so long it's filled up all the space.  But because I can't see it (again, tell me if this sentence is correct) I can't highlight it to change it and the fact it's on the desktop of the Win7 disc doesn't seem to have changed anything. 

How do I make tthe FULL name, including any hidden paths or any other part of the name you don't usually see, visible so I can delete the old long paths and give the files new names? I'd love to know that. And if  you don't think that's the problem but there's something else going on (they're data files created by various programs but in XP 32 bit, they're now in Win7 64 bit but the programs that created them are running fine, it's just they're not 'seeing' their files and I can't rename them to see if the programs will see them then) just say and all ideas will be tried. 

You can geekspeak, I'm not bad with computers, it's jus Win7's got quirks I've not fully fathomed yet (only just got my head around Permissions - sheesh!)

Yours hopefully

Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:17 AM

Windows by default hides file extensions and system files. To see everything go to start, computer, organize button, folder options, view tab. Change show hidden files, folders and drives. Below that there is hide known file extensions and a hide protected operating system files.

This is set this way you by default so that you don't mess with your operating system files.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

To be clear...uncheck the "hide" options.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users