Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to make a recovery

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:52 PM

with all this suggestions of upgrading to windows 10 and all and with it being "free", i am kind of thinking maybe i should upgrade to windows 10 ( im a sucker for free bleep) but before i do that i just need to know a safe, step by step process that completely works on how to completely back up my files and programs or just everything in my current win 8.1 laptop and restore all of it just in case i do upgrade and then i end up wanting to go back to 8.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi archaiccitizen :)

Before I answer your main question, you know that the current Windows 10 release is just a technical preview and not the official version, which is set to be released on July 29th, right? Which means that you still have over a month and a half before upgrading to Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

yeap i know, i'm not going to upgrade now, i'm thinking of upgrading when it's released :D

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

Alright :) As for your first question, you're more asking about how to make a system image, than a back-up. Basically, you want a way to completely restore your Windows 8.1 in case you don't like Windows 10, is that right?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

Yes that is very right :D

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

In order to create a system image of your current Windows 8.1 system, it would be better if you had an external storage media (like a hard drive) and a System Imaging software like Macrium Reflect Free. From there, you could simply follow Macrium's instructions to create a system image.

unite_blue.png

#7 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

a hard drive huh? how much space would i need? i have a 1 TB external, that enough?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

If your current Windows installation takes less than 1TB of space, then yes, it'll be more than enough :)

unite_blue.png

#9 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

alright then, so that program, Macrium Reflect Free, and the hard drive that's all i need? then the program will take care of everything? :)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

That's right :) The link below goes to the latest article about creating a system image using Macrium Reflect.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer%2C+drive+or+partitions

unite_blue.png

#11 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

Thank you so much for your help! :D

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

No problem archaiccitizen, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users