Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phoenix Firstbios BIOS is detecting only 2GB of 4GB installed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geo791

geo791

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

I have an old IBM ThinkCentre 8189F1U desktop computer that I recently installed new memory into. It is running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit OS. I did have 2GB of ram which was detected correctly but after installing new 4x1GB sticks, the BIOS only detects 2.3GB. Windows 7 sees 4GB but only 2.3GB is usable. The BIOS is Phoenix Firstbios version 2AKT51AUS 7/6/2005. I have not been able to find an update to this BIOS. The MB is an IBM FRU PN 13R8926 and the documentation indicates it will accept 4GB of memory. The new ram conforms to the system specs also. I would appreciate any ideas. The system constantly uses the hd with only the 2GB installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

Your system sees 4 GB of RAM (as determined by what you state windows 7 sees it.  But some of it is shared with the video card. /system resources.  I suspect in your system's bios you can change how much RAM your video card takes of the system RAM but lowering the amount will also lower the possible resoultion and color depth capable. 

#3 geo791

geo791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

Yes, Windows 7 see the installed RAM as 4GB but only 2.3GB usable. The BIOS only detects 2.3GB of the RAM. I have a discrete nVidia 6200 vidieo card with 512mb of memory. So the system is NOT detecting the added RAM. Would the reason Windows only indicates that 2.3GB is usable is that the BIOS does not detect it?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

Do you also have onboard graphics?  Since you can enter the bios do you have a section where you can select how much memory the onboard graphics uses?  Just because you have a discreet card doesn't mean that the onboard graphics card won't take that memory away.  I mean if it was faulty ram I don't see how windows would detect it as 4GB.

#5 geo791

geo791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Yes, I do have onboard graphics available. The aperture is only 8mb in the BIOS. Everyone seems to want to address the memory which is available in Windows. My issue is with the total memory not being detected by the BIOS. If the BIOS does not detect the 4GB of memory then it doesn't really matter what Windows says is installed.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

Your wrong... windows can only see what the bios sees .. so if windows can see 4GB than the bios does too regardless of what it says it detects.  Maybe we should start by looking at a speccy of the system. Can you post a link to the snapshot.

#7 geo791

geo791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thanks YeahBleeping. Here is the screenshot of Speccy. I have experienced some BSOD with the new memory also. Error was regarding mem-management.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Jhhp6Udf6uwhZTko6TjNINo

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/M8qzqkM8g6sPqCyjZi7s1jJ

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

This does seem a bit strange.  Maybe try using the memtest86 software or windows7's memory test and see what results we get. Unless someone else see's something I am missing.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

IMO...the "useable" RAM figure (regardless of where you are getting it) is totally useless and misleading.  I find it to be of no value at all.

Your BIOS should detect every RAM module installed...so I don't know how your BIOS can reflect anything less than 4GB.  The BIOS should detect the same amount of RAM as Speccy does.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2015 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users