Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge (and sudden) leap in free disk space - why/how?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plonie

Plonie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hello - this is my first post on this forum and I am glad I found you!

Yesterday morning my free disk space stood at 19 GB (total capacity: 232 GB). Last night it had jumped to 128 GB free space (without me having deleted anything). This baffled me and freaked me out as I am now worried I have lost lots of stuff, although I have so far not found anything to be missing. Can someone please explain how this could have happened and if I should be worried? Was there a gremlin that was blocking free space and perhaps this gremlin popped his clogs and now all is well? If things have disappeared, is there a way I can find out what has gone awol? 

If someone could enlighten me, I would be very grateful! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Have you done anything like empty your re-cycle bin or do a de-frag since yesterday morning ?  A de-frag will normally free up a little hard drive space and emptying the re-cycle bin frees up the amount that was in it, but I have never seen the contents level of the bin set that high.

What I would do in your position is back up all my own data - work, photos, music, etc. - to external storage. What you use depends on how much you have but since your figures suggest you have about 100 GB of data I would recommend an external hard drive. Once you have backed up your data you can relax - your data is safe. Then you can go looking to see if anything you know was there before is now gone.

I have to admit I cannot think of anything that could produce this effect except possibly an instrumentation error. But back up your data then post back if you still have worries.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Plonie

Plonie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for your reply and the welcome, Chris!

Although I do defrag on a regular basis I hadn't on that day. I also keep my recycle bin tidy and there were 2 files in there, that were still there after my discovery of the extra space. 

I will do what you suggested and do a proper back up. I had another look today but really can't find anything missing (but haven't checked everything yet). But it has made me realise that there are things I can delete so will be doing a bit of housekeeping. 

I am still spooked by what happened but probably won't find out how and why......

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

I don't think you shouldn't be too worried. This behaviour suggests that Windows saw that the amount free disk space became too low and started to delete A LOT OF things:

- Temporary internet files (Internet Explorer).

- old System Restore Points.

- etc.

19 GB of free disk space on a 230 GB harddrive clearly suggests that you need to do more regularly cleaning. A good program to start with is Piriform's CCleaner.

Edited by Willy22, 26 June 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#5 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

hello everybody and welcome plonie

I agree with all the above, I operate at 9.5 GB of free space the rest is music vedios and art, a lot of art, no more then that even,

I ran a program called "batch purifier",,,, hidden in all that art was tons of junk, thumb nails for possble use, but not used by me,

once i down loaded a picture that had a small dissertation on the photo stuck back in the info, this photo used like 3 MB's !

I ran "batch purifier" and gained 1 GB of free space cleaning a whole art file..

But i have never even heard of anything near like you free'd up.

Some free ware programs and such have a event log, peck around and see if you can find a event.

another example-picasa will copy (rape) almost your whole file base and store it in picasa so they can copy your life to their sick little bronze cow if you use picasa on line to edit photos, effect---bingo you double used space, empty picasa and bingo again ton of free space, tho frags remain --I THINK not sure

Can't imagin having all the space you have, one crash and you are in trouble, I have 9-PNY hi end 32 GB flash drives, each 3 has my whole everything--so i have three back ups, one in a safe off my property

get a back up, if you buy flashes on the net-amazon, you are certian to get ripped off with boot leg junk

I have this model in 16 gb in use almost every 3 days for more then 7 years, i had to glue a new key ring on it, as plastic wore thru, and it actually flashes

this is the only brand ( PNY ATTACHE 2) i have not have had a almost daily use "Burn out" happen on me.

PS down loading a lot of GB on a flash is hard on it, they don't have fans, you can point a small fan on it or as my friend does

carefully drape a folded wet piece of paper towle over it, if you are gonna pump it for 6 hours, as, if it gets warm on the out side, it is flaming on th inside

i think this last methiod says a lot about the friends i keep and may be questionable if you over wet the paper, but i did blow out a hp after checking it for 5 hours, in morning I came back to check and it looked fine, but was fried.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M4302

jimbotoo :smash:

Edited by jimbotoo, 09 July 2015 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users