Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying Network...?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gramsca

Gramsca

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

Well I have 2 PC's. One is an older one, a low-end machine. The other is a custom built high-end machine. Both running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I have the same network card installed on both of them, The TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter for wireless connections on both. I have a basic modem installed by my ISP. I also have a router which I bought from Staples, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router. I installed all the drivers for the network card and router on both PC's. I installed the card on the older machine first, which is closer to the router, about a few feet. Worked like a charm. I then installed it on my main computer, the high-end one which is further away from the router and modem, about 20-30 feet away. I tried to connect to my WiFi network, the NETGEAR one and it says "Identifying Network... (my network) - no internet access" (I will include a screenshot). Now when I connect to the network provided by my ISP it does work. I've tried reinstalling all the drivers multiple times. Very frustrated, haven't gotten this to work in months! Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Brennan

Attached Files

• Attached File  pic.jpg   67.42KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 purpleboxuk

purpleboxuk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

When you say a basic modem installed by your ISP you mean a router? Then you have a nighthawk too? Seems to me like the nighthawk wifi isnt configured correctly... OR perhaps try to delete any saved wireless data on the high end machine and reconnect with wireless password.

#3 Gramsca

Gramsca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

When you say a basic modem installed by your ISP you mean a router? Then you have a nighthawk too? Seems to me like the nighthawk wifi isnt configured correctly... OR perhaps try to delete any saved wireless data on the high end machine and reconnect with wireless password.

Yes I do, and yes I purchased the nighthawk, it was not provided by my ISP. I've also tried deleting my wireless data already.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

Is your ISP modem also a router?

#5 Gramsca

Gramsca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:48 PM

Is your ISP modem also a router?

Yes, the ISP one is a modem and router.

#6 purpleboxuk

purpleboxuk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:35 AM

Are you using the nighthalk as an access point or as a router? Why are you using 2 routers? Once i know i can help configure it if it is indeed the config.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

for reference 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Gramsca

Gramsca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

Are you using the nighthalk as an access point or as a router? Why are you using 2 routers? Once i know i can help configure it if it is indeed the config.

I am using the nighthawk as a router. The one my ISP installed is a router and modem as well, so I need that for the nighthawk. 

that is a different problem.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

you really think so? OK

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Gramsca

Gramsca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

you really think so? OK

Yep, I know his problem. It says unidentified. Mine goes further and just loads and says identifying...

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

Following is a summary of how I perceive the information.

--- I’m certainly not an expert in this area and I would prefer to rely on expert advice but I have had very good luck in helping many people solve similar problems like you have

You have a “basic modem installed by my ISP”

--- “basic’ indicates to me it doesn’t have wireless capability

--- I think it would be good if we knew the make/model

You are using a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router as your wireless access point

You have 2 computers that have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

An older a low-end machine that works well wirelessly

A custom built high-end machine that is your main computer that doesn’t work well wirelessly

--- Each one has a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter

On your main computer the issue is "Identifying Network... (my network) - no internet access"

--- You “haven't gotten this to work in months!”

--- Is this an original problem from the beginning or did it work ok before?

--- This computer is “about 20-30 feet away” “from the router and modem”

On the screenshots it shows 2 issues

--- No Network Access & Limited Access

“when I connect to the network provided by my ISP it does work”

--- Please note we don’t know whether or not this was done wired or wirelessly

--- I could assume wirelessly but my past experiences have resulted in assumptions to be unreliable

So we need to understand what that means

--- Does this mean that you brought the main computer over to the “basic modem installed by my ISP” and directly used an Ethernet cable without either the older machine or the Netgear wireless Wi-Fi router in the loop?

--- Please clarify the exact setup

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

You're cascading chaining the routers together. That causes problems because you're behind a double NAT. If you just want to use the Nighthawk you have to go into the ISP's modem/router and look for Bridged mode. This basically turns off the WAN on the router and turns it into a switch. Then you plug the Nighthawk uplink into to one of the ports of the ISP's modem/router. The Nighthawk should pull a public ip from your providers DHCP server.

#13 Gramsca

Gramsca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

Following is a summary of how I perceive the information.

--- I’m certainly not an expert in this area and I would prefer to rely on expert advice but I have had very good luck in helping many people solve similar problems like you have

You have a “basic modem installed by my ISP”

--- “basic’ indicates to me it doesn’t have wireless capability

--- I think it would be good if we knew the make/model

You are using a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router as your wireless access point

You have 2 computers that have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

An older a low-end machine that works well wirelessly

A custom built high-end machine that is your main computer that doesn’t work well wirelessly

--- Each one has a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter

On your main computer the issue is "Identifying Network... (my network) - no internet access"

--- You “haven't gotten this to work in months!”

--- Is this an original problem from the beginning or did it work ok before?

--- This computer is “about 20-30 feet away” “from the router and modem”

On the screenshots it shows 2 issues

--- No Network Access & Limited Access

“when I connect to the network provided by my ISP it does work”

--- Please note we don’t know whether or not this was done wired or wirelessly

--- I could assume wirelessly but my past experiences have resulted in assumptions to be unreliable

So we need to understand what that means

--- Does this mean that you brought the main computer over to the “basic modem installed by my ISP” and directly used an Ethernet cable without either the older machine or the Netgear wireless Wi-Fi router in the loop?

--- Please clarify the exact setup

The basic modem/router has wireless capability. Model Ubee DVW326. It is a DOCSIS 3.0 device (whatever that means). It has never worked before on my main computer, but always from the start has worked on the low-end device closer to the Ubee device (the modem installed by ISP). I always connect via wireless. Also it may help if you know why the $300 dollar nighthawk router does not have a COAX in/out input capability. I would not have this problem if it did have a COAX in/out. If there is any other information you might need just let me know. 

#14 Gramsca

Gramsca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

You're cascading chaining the routers together. That causes problems because you're behind a double NAT. If you just want to use the Nighthawk you have to go into the ISP's modem/router and look for Bridged mode. This basically turns off the WAN on the router and turns it into a switch. Then you plug the Nighthawk uplink into to one of the ports of the ISP's modem/router. The Nighthawk should pull a public ip from your providers DHCP server.

Could you please explain to me what a double NAT is? I will try and look for Bridged mode, can you please tell me where this might be? I know how to get into the router settings. The ISP router is a Ubee DVW326, provided by Cox. 

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

Do you have a warranty and/or service plan with either Netgear or Staples?

Register the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router with both Netgear and Staples

Call Netgear and see if they’ll help you

Go back to Staples to see if they can help you if Netgear can’t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users