Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want to Upgrade My Older PC into Gaming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mailbox Money

Mailbox Money

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

I want to upgrade my optiplex 360 into a gaming desktop.

Specs

Processor

Intel Dual Core 2.80 GHz 

Ram

2gb ddr2

Graphic Card

Random brand name

around 200mb

I just want desktop to run arma 3. 

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2015 - 04:28 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I think you're going to be out of luck.  According to Crucial you can only put 4GB of RAM maximum.  According to Dell your machine has a 255 watt power supply at the maximum, which pretty much rules out a video card upgrade.

Here are the Arma3 requirements and I think the video card is the thing that is going to trip you up.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

I want to upgrade my optiplex 360 into a gaming desktop.

Specs

Processor

Intel Dual Core 2.80 GHz 

Ram

2gb ddr2

Graphic Card

Random brand name

around 200mb

I just want desktop to run arma 3. 

O.o... You should get a new PC if you want to decently play anything. You could get a cheap 9600 GT or something but that's about as much as your PC could handle.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

O.o... You should get a new PC if you want to decently play anything. You could get a cheap 9600 GT or something but that's about as much as your PC could handle.

Add a GTX 750 (not the "ti" version!!). It's much newer and more powerful then the 9600GT, draws very little power, is 100$ new, comes with a warranty, and probably will come with a few free games.

The 9600GT is NOT enough to play ARMA 3. However the res tof the system is already up to spec for it on minimum. 

That's the most you can do, but a bit costly and not really worth it since it's not enough to play new tipple A games. 

Edited by SEANIA, 30 June 2015 - 02:25 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

Add a GTX 750 (not the "ti" version!!). It's much newer and more powerful then the 9600GT, draws very little power, is 100$ new, comes with a warranty, and probably will come with a few free games.

The 9600GT is NOT enough to play ARMA 3. However the res tof the system is already up to spec for it on minimum. 

That's the most you can do, but a bit costly and not really worth it since it's not enough to play new tipple A games. 

I know the 9600GT is a crappy GPU and all but that's all his/her computer will be able to handle. The requirements say at least an 8800 or something.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

I know the 9600GT is a crappy GPU and all but that's all his/her computer will be able to handle. The requirements say at least an 8800 or something.

The 9600GT draws more power then the GTX 750. The 9600GT draws 95watts with a recommended 29 amp PSU to feed it. The 9600GT would blow up his PSU.

The GTX 750 draws 50 watts and has a recommended amperage of only 18 amps. Not to mention the GTX 750 destroys it performance wise while meeting the requirements for ARMA 3. Also, it has no dedicated power line to it as it feeds of the PCIe power. The whole advent of the 750 was to make a card that would work in anything so that anyone could pickup a GPU and play games without worrying about PSU requirements.. Smart for Nvidia, creamed AMD with the concept. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#7 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

The 9600GT draws more power then the GTX 750. The 9600GT draws 95watts with a recommended 29 amp PSU to feed it. The 9600GT would blow up his PSU.

The GTX 750 draws 50 watts and has a recommended amperage of only 18 amps. Not to mention the GTX 750 destroys it performance wise while meeting the requirements for ARMA 3. Also, it has no dedicated power line to it as it feeds of the PCIe power. The whole advent of the 750 was to make a card that would work in anything so that anyone could pickup a GPU and play games without worrying about PSU requirements.. Smart for Nvidia, creamed AMD with the concept. 

Never mind, then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users