Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Up/Down Arrow Keys not working on Dell Laptop and other Assorted Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frustrated89

Frustrated89

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hello everyone, last night I spilled a drink on my computer and have been having some weird problems since... I have a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop and it is running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

When browsing webpages (or other documents like in Word or Notepad etc.) the computer would randomly start scrolling all the way up or down to the bottom of the page. Also the mouse would randomly just freeze and not move until I pushed the "alt" button. The up/down arrow keys didn't work and when I typed in some letters on the keyboard would give me extra letters... (Ex: I press "h" and it comes out as "gh" or I press "b" and it comes out as "bn").

So when i woke up I re-booted my computer and when it first started up it flashed a bunch of different colors when it was supposed to be starting up and then displayed the customary symbol that it displays when it's about to start up... Only it didn't start up so I had to push the on/off button a couple times before it actually started up....

I was having the same issues after I re-started the computer, but they were less pronounced. I still had faulty keyboard keys and a mouse that would freeze up or just randomly scroll the page up/down all the way and had to press "alt" (or space worked too...).  After this, I decided to plug in my Logitech K120 keyboard into my laptop to see if I could get the computer working better...

Now I can type just fine (knock on wood), and I think the erratic mouse/scrolling behavior is gone (I hope for good).  I still can't use the up/down arrow keys if I use them on my built-in laptop keyboard, but they work fine when I use the Logitech keyboard that I have plugged into my laptop right now.

While things are working pretty good right now, I am afraid this solution might be temporary.  Has anyone had any similar problems? I think I might have damaged the hardware by spilling a drink on the computer. What do you guys think? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

It depends on some extent to what the drink was - coffee with milk and sugar is probably about as bad as it gets, closely followed by soft drinks like cola or lemonade.

To solve your problem you are going to have to dismantle your laptop to some extent to get the keyboard out. The manual will give some guidance and if you search YouTube for 'Dell Inspiron 15R teardown' you will almost certainly find at least one video showing you how to do it. You can get the manual here, if you don't have a copy -

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5520/manuals

It may be possible to clean the keyboard once it is removed, I would suggest gentle rinsing with water with a final wash with something like iso-propyl alcohol, then leaving it in a warmish place to dry thoroughly. A quick google suggest replacement keyboards are not expensive - several suppliers here and the second item down is a link to a YouTube video on how to do it !

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dell+inspiron+15r+keyboard+replacement

Good luck !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sophia_smith

sophia_smith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:55 AM

Hey, same situation I have also faced. My small brother spilled coffee on my laptop keyboard and 2 keys were damaged. I contacted Replacement laptop Keys. They helped me a lot in replacing my laptop keys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users