Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I dual boot on GTP Partions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 balkrish999

balkrish999

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hello I currently have a windows 8.1 preinstalled laptop

It has the GTP GPT partions whereby it has around 6 partions

Can I dual boot it with windows 10? With 6 partions ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Hi balkrish999 :)

It's possible to dual-boot with a GPT partitionned drive, yes. Can you list us the 6 partitions you have? Primary or logical? And what are they for?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 balkrish999

balkrish999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hi balkrish999 :)

It's possible to dual-boot with a GPT partitioned drive, yes. Can you list us the 6 partitions you have? Primary or logical? And what are they for?

Hello, Sorry its 7, not 6

So could I dual boot Windows 8.1 (Pre installed)

with Windows 10 ( Insider beta iso?)

In this GTP Setup?

See image below 

- Please note Partition M (Media) will be removed and merged with C

le86bDh.png

Edited by balkrish999, 15 June 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#4 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

yes, you can dual boot it. here it is

Things to keep in mind:
Backup your current installation of Windows. Because you will be making signifcant changes to your computer, you should always backup before doing so. 

Creating a Partition for windows 10

1.You can using Window disk management to create it, also, you can using EaseUS Partition Master to create the partition instead.
Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and click Disk Management.
Right click it and click Shrink menu.

Enter the amount you want to allocate. Depending on the architecture of Windows 10 you want to try. If you are using Windows 10 32 bit, you can allocate 16 GBs or 20 GBs if you using the 64 bit version. Another factor is disk space for applications, page file, drivers, accumulation data over time. So make sure you make consideration for these factors. My personal recommendation is to go with a minimum 60 to 100 GBs of space for Windows 10 testing.

Click OK.

The Disk Management window should display unallocated disk space.

2.OR use EaseUS Partition Master(the tool support convert gpt to mbr)

Launch EaseUS Partition Master. download easeus partition master here http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

Drag the left border of Partition, and shrink its size (Windows 10 installation requires at least Free hard disk space: 16 GB).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc

As long as you do not sacrifice System, Local Disk (C:\) and Recovery, you should be able to shrink Drive C: and create enough space to dual boot.

Right click the Tools partition and click Delete Volume.
Note: This might be different on your system make sure you observe carefully what you are doing.

--------------------
Download and Prepare Windows 10 Preview .ISO file

Starting the installation.

The Windows logo will appear on screen, this might be here for a while, as long as you see the indicater, everything should be ok.
The setup screen will eventually appear, select your time and currency format then click Next.
Click Install Now
Wait while setup starts up

Accept the End User License agreement and click Next

Click Custom install Windows only (advanced)

Then Starting the installation from within a running version Windows

If you run the normal setup routine from within a running version of Windows, Windows 10 setup does not give you an option to do a custom install. A quick work around for this is to launch the classic setup routine. After inserting your Windows 10 installation media.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

Alice, if you are to copy/paste content from other websites, use the quote feature and link the source.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-the-latest-windows-build-with/9695dfc7-1c13-4d8d-b10b-587e78c6ac36

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users