Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows, disable startup programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 subjectangel87

subjectangel87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

I have Windows 8 on a Lenovo Edge15. I'm not too familiar with what programs are needed, especially on start up and was hoping I could get some help in identifying from the list, which ones I can disable to help speed the bootup and general speed of the laptop if possible. Laptop was just bought about 4 months ago, brand new.

Any help appreciated, Thank you!

*Screenshots of startup list sorted by impact level are below

Attached File  startup1.png   91.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  startup2.png   25.15KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

Hello subjectangel87
I do believe that you must read the left side, along with the right side... Name > > > Startup Impact.
Next I do note that your Antivirus seems to be missing, or simply not listed - (your Defender or other Antivirus should always be there at Startup)

Apple Push is in no way required as a Startup item - High, and could be put to Medium or Delayed
The same as you have Quicktime set to Medium, it could "generally" be set to Delayed ...unless this powers the type of program you run.

The others relate to general sound "Realtec" and video NVIDIA (read viewing) to make it reasonably easy to view at a quick startup.

It looks like a good general Startup list -

Thank You -

#3 subjectangel87

subjectangel87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

Thank you  noknojon.

I do have Windows Defender running (I double checked after I read your reply) but I'm not sure why it's not showing in the list. Do you know of anyway I can get that to show on the list, because I know it's running or is it not important if I can't see it?

I did notice the startup impact column, I just wasn't sure what programs were detrimental to keep on their default settings and which ones I could disable/delay.

I'll delay Apply Push and QuickTime per your suggestion. (QuickTime is used for my Biology class website assignments :/ , but I think delayed shouldn't hurt anything in that regards.)

Thank you for your help and insight! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users