Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install older windows without using dvd/cd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 projectfear22

projectfear22

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi there

don't see a thread for win 2k so I'll post it here since theres a question for 8 as well

I'm having lag with windows 7 and I wanted to go back to xp
since I heard that Windows 2000 is pretty similar to xp but a bit faster I'd like to install that one
so I got the setup files, but how can I install it on windows 7, it says that I have a higher version so I guess I'd need to do it via boot but my cd burner is having problems and I can't do it because of that.

Is there some other way?
I hear you can format your usb or smth (something) and use it to install it?
what does formatting the usb mean?
can it be done that way? if yes how? and are there other ways?

Also same question goes for windows 8 since it says that it can't identify if I'm ready to install it so I'd have to try boot but.. cd burner.. and yeah same question for xp (guess the answer would be the same for all) (just keeping more options but priority is 2000)

please take a look at this topic as well

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579457/could-anyone-do-a-tiny-voice-acting-part-help-for-friend-please/
p.s. does anyone have a british accent here? my friend could use a voice actor for a video on yt?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Is this a computer that came with Windows 7 or a much older computer? How old is it?

You would just be inviting a ton of more problems using 2000 even if you could get it installed.

EDIT: What would you be using this computer for?

Edited by buddy215, 14 June 2015 - 02:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 projectfear22

projectfear22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Is this a computer that came with Windows 7 or a much older computer? How old is it?

You would just be inviting a ton of more problems using 2000 even if you could get it installed.

EDIT: What would you be using this computer for?

It came without windows so an acquintance installed XP on it, later I got 7 on it to see how it is but would go back to older OS since it lags and uses up my pc much more.

Its from 2007 or 2006, bad hardware

had problems running call of duty 4 on low, could run call of duty mw2 on low without lag (confusing lol), could run timeshift on low or medium, could run driver parralel lines on low

The pc is for home use no business, so for a various stuff, playing games, using programs to draw, writing documents, downloading stuff, watching youtube, facebook, deviantart, forums etc. playing flash games

what problems do you mean? I don't really care about security since I had xp and people say its vulnerable for security as well

tnx for the reply btw

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

The first of several problems that comes to mind is where would you get 2000. Equally problematic is what browser would work. Next would be running without any

modern security programs.

My best suggestion if Windows 7 is not compatible with the hardware is to explore the Linux world of free operating systems. You can get some good advice on

that in the Linux forum. You can do all that you mentioned in Linux that has an OS that will work on almost all computers even older than yours.

Just take the time to get some info on your computer....amount of RAM/ memory....which processor....video card or onboard graphics then ask any question about Linux

in the Forum.

Edited by buddy215, 14 June 2015 - 03:55 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

I need to add concerning your comment about not caring about security....every user on the web is affected/ threatened by those who are not caring about security.

Criminals use others' computers to cause all kinds of problems.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

I must generally agree with buddy on this, and the 2000 only came up as it was outdated, and someone mentioned it RE : Win 8.1 programs.

This was not because they are related, just that 2000 no longer works with many programs.

If your system is stable, Purchase a Windows 7 install DVD (they are available) and register yours.

C of D 2 is not programmed to run on anything earlier than either Vista SP2 or at best a very good XP SP3 computer. (Windows 7 is ideal for this program)

Quite often you find that programs will not run on Pirated versions of Windows, because there are missing parts of the Operating System ..

Thank You -

#7 projectfear22

projectfear22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:17 AM

The first of several problems that comes to mind is where would you get 2000. Equally problematic is what browser would work. Next would be running without any

My best suggestion if Windows 7 is not compatible with the hardware is to explore the Linux world of free operating systems. You can get some good advice on

that in the Linux forum. You can do all that you mentioned in Linux that has an OS that will work on almost all computers even older than yours.

Just take the time to get some info on your computer....amount of RAM/ memory....which processor....video card or onboard graphics then ask any question about Linux

in the Forum.

really how come you can't use any browser :S

Then I'll use XP, I used it anyway first and it worked perfectly for my needs, so what's usb formatting and can that help me to install the windows without using a cd dvd? (p.s. I don't want linux, I can't have anything pirated on it I heard)

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

If you have the XP installer on a CD then you can use that to create a bootable flash drive following the directions in link below. You will need the XP CD, a workable optical drive,

a flash drive that will be formatted using the tool described in the instructions. WinSetupFromUSB - The Simplest Way to Install Windows XP From USB Flash Drive

Disclaimer: I have not used the program used to create the bootable usb installer for XP.

Using pirated software is the same as stealing the software. I suppose it sounds better somehow to say pirated versus saying I stole the software.

No need to steal Linux compatible software for the typical home user. It's free. Many programs can be used freely in Linux and Windows....cross-platform.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

~

in the Forum.

really how come you can't use any browser :S

Then I'll use XP, I used it anyway first and it worked perfectly for my needs, so what's usb formatting and can that help me to install the windows without using a cd dvd? (p.s. I don't want linux, I can't have anything pirated on it I heard)

You shouldn't run pirated software period.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Are you saying that you have pirated software installed on the system for which you are asking help?

Louis

#11 projectfear22

projectfear22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

Are you saying that you have pirated software installed on the system for which you are asking help?

Louis

I'm saying that I don't want an OS which forbids it, you never know when something urgent comes up.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

I'm saying that I don't want an OS which forbids it, you never know when something urgent comes up.

You are admitting that you might want to use pirated software in the future. This makes me wonder if you are using pirated Windows.

Whatever the case, we will not be able to help you further.

Bleeping Computer rules  state (bold red mine0

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Continuing to help you amounts to encouraging you to use  pirated software.

This topic is closed.

If you have any comments, questions or concerns about the closure you can send them to me in a private message.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 June 2015 - 09:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users