Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unterelsbach

unterelsbach

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

When I try to download and open or save something the get the following:

The exception unknown software exception (0X0000015) occurred I the application at location 0x01062a57.

And then get:  Adobe Reader has stopped working.

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2015 - 01:24 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:33 PM

Sorry for the delay, I thought someone answered your question.  The first possibility is that you're clicking on a shortcut pointing to a bad location.  So right-click on the icon, and if in Windows 7, click on 'File Location', and if it tells you there's no file, that's the problem.  If it goes to a file folder, see if an 'exe' file is in the folder.  It should say something like 'AcroRead.exe' but I forget the names they use now.  Click on that, and see if you get the same error.

If so, you got a bad installation, or the program is left from a prior uninstall, and didn't finish.  So now, at the search bar, type 'Uninstall' and search for 'Adobe Reader' in the list.  Uninstall it.  If it does NOT appear in the list, it means a previous uninstall didn't go well, and that's why you're getting the error.  You might have to search for 'Adobe' in all your directories and wipe out any 'Acro' files you find.  That takes hours.

So instead, download and install the latest Reader without previous uninstall; it might clean up the prior uninstall for you.  For installation of the new one, don't accept the default directory name presented.  Give it a new name (even just add a letter) -- lest the new program access the old leftover files (if any). 

If you get the same error message after installation, you'll have to uninstall Reader again and maybe all the old locations will be wiped as well.  Then, reinstall again.  If not all wiped, then you'll have to do the hunt for all 'Adobe' folders, but bear in mind Flash stores in those folders too, so don't delete the Flash files.

This kind of thing happens often.  Reader is a buggy product, because it's free.  Good news is, the next time that same error occurs, you'll know what to do.

I ended up getting Adobe Acrobat 9 (later versions are less compatible with the programs I use), and it can do OCR recognition (turning all those Google docs  from the 1800s and early 1900s into searchable pdfs, and all its Gibbon or Shakespeare, too).  But Acrobat 9 might cost $100 (at Amazon, but here at Ebay it's cheaper).  It freely updates, though.  Some folks have hissy fits about it being an older version, but for Government work I need it and it performs well.

Edited by brainout, 11 July 2015 - 11:44 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 unterelsbach

unterelsbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thank you BRAINOUT.  Right clicking worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users