Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet cables... Any differance or all the ame?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

We have 30mbps wifi @ our house and use a Netgear Nighthawk router.

Its nice.  But I've noticed with my laptop I get fast speeds and internet browsing with the cable hooked up to my wife.

I play a lot of Magic The Gathering online and like to sit in my living room on the recliner when I play. 

But wifi speeds def. slow my game down.

When I hook a ethernet cable to my laptop the speed of the game increases 5x.

So Im looking to get a long ethernet cable to run from my router to my laptop when Im sitting in the living room.

On newegg you can get all lengths for relatively cheap.

My question is this:  Are all ethernet cables gonna give me the same speed?  Or will a cheap ethernet cable slow down my speed from the router to my laptop compared to a higher quality cable?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

The simple answer is yes there is a difference and I would get CAT6, it is currently the best cable with the best insulation providing the most bandwidth up to 100ft.  I would still get the shortest cable you need.  As like in my apartment I have cable going to all 3 bedrooms nailed to the baseboards and around the doorways using coax cable holders you can get at any hardware store.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:04 PM

I recommend Monoprice for inexpensive cables.  There is no reason to over pay for a CAT5e or CAT6 cable.  Network cables are good for up to 328 feet which is more than enough for most home applications.

Basically it boils down to either the cable works or it doesn't, there much in between.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users