Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get computer to power on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tamadan93

tamadan93

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hello all,

I made an account on this webpage solely for this problem that I cannot seem to fix. So here we go.

About a couple months ago I came home and my pc was turned off. Keep in mind its been working great for 3 years, I assembled it myself. After some troubleshooting, the power supply turned out to be dead. I went and bought a new one, and it did not help. So I exchanged it for another one and the pc was still not turning on. So I take it to my buddies house who's also good with PC's and he tells me its definately the power supply thats dead. We hooked up one of his PSU's and sure enough it booted right up. So that lead me to believe that something was wrong with my houses power. I checked the outlets with a multimeter and all the readings were correct, 120 volts,etc. I bought a new surge protector and another power supply...does not turn on at my house! I bought a UPS battery backup and a new power supply and still does not work! Another thing to consider is that the new psu's always blow at my house so I always have to go exchange for another one haha. I've run out of idea's guys..I need your help. I've changed the motherboard as well..just for fun I guess. 

Here is a breakdown of whats going on'

-PSU's blow at my house instantly

-Nothing else in the house is blowing only my PC

-UPS does not help

-Outlets test out fine in my house, I have even tried different outlets and different rooms in the house, same issue

-PC boots on just fine at multiple peoples houses, not mine. 

What could cause this weird issue? Wouldn't the UPS power supply rule out that it's bad power that keeps blowing my PSU? I've been using my pc fine for 3 years and suddenly this happens...i'm dumbfounded. 

PC Specs

AMD FX 8320

16GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte Mobo

x2 90GB SSD's

1TB mechanical drive

GTX 660ti

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Thanks guys, any help is really appreciated..I'm about to order a new PC because of this headache. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tamadan93

tamadan93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

small update..got a power supply and tried turning the pc on through a ups battery backup and it worked fine for almost a whole day..so I started re assembling the pc and in the end it would not run anymore. I am going to disconnect all hardware and add one piece at a time to see if there are any faulty components causing problems.

Edited by tamadan93, 15 June 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

Hi tamadan93 and welcome, 

This is a weird issue and sounds very frustrating. Are you convinced that those PSUs that you previously tried weren't defective? You say that you get 120v in the outlets, are you in the USA or Canada? Keep in mind that in Europe you should get around 220 volts in the power network. Check all of your connections and maybe even one of the old, allegedly blown up PSUs in another house / power source. All in all, I guess that you either get brief power surges at your place, or there is another issue, caused by that (other than PSU). Short circuits within your PC may cause the PSU or other components to burn out. 

A UPS is mandatory in your case, but check everything one by one. That's everything that springs to mind, make sure to keep us posted on this issue. Best regards, Citizen_WD

#4 tamadan93

tamadan93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

I have tried over 5 psu's different brands and all. They burnt out each time. The last one I just got yesterday is still working though according to the PSU tester, probably because I used it through a UPS. The voltage is auto switching on all the psu's iv'e ever used. I am located in the USA. The only thing I can think of is some pc component is causing the short, I will do some troubleshooting this evening. 

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

Is your house properly grounded?  Is your home an older 2 wire power or does it use 3 wire with ground?  I suspect that you have intermittent problem of the mainboard grounding out and taking the power supply with it.  You built this computer yourself did you make sure you do not have any standoffs where they shouldn't be on the base of the case under the mainboard?  Another thing to look at is the IO shield is it properly inserted and not touching where it shouldn't be?  I am surprised that the pc is still running after so many power supply blow outs.  Have you had your homes power tested by an electrician?  You could be having surges or brownouts.  Is there any major construction going on in your area?  Just because you are getting the right voltage doesn't mean your getting the right amperage.  This one is going to be hard to track down.

#6 tamadan93

tamadan93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

House was built about 8 years ago so it uses the 3 wire. I re assembled the whole pc to try to find something wrong but could not notice anything. No construction going on in the area either 

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

If you leave the mainboard out of the case and just leave it on a block of wood or cardboard ... does it still blow PSU's?

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Definitely some short. You definitely need to trip the computer down to the basics and out of the case. As suggested check stand off posts behind the motherboard and double tripple check A/B holes match the motherboards layout. Could be a loose screw shorting something. Check USB ports for broken plastic keys inside. Contacts there could short. As suggested check IO plate in rear. Somtimes those grounding pieces of metal can get bent backwards installing the motherboard and get jammed into something it shouldn't. Check wiring for burns shorts, loose molex plugs on the rails. Inspect the main plug to motherboard. Inspect the motherboards capacitors and chokes along side or near the CPU socket and memory slots. Have a water cooler system? Obviously a leak can cause shorting. If you have a aftermarket lighnting system check that as well. LEDS can cause heat and burn wires etc. Sometimes they have a poor design with no in line fuse protection or draw to much amps, wires not thick enough and get hot etc. If all else fails inspect the cpu socket for to much thermal paste shorting it. Replace the motherboard.

#9 tamadan93

tamadan93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

*update* replaced the cables to my 2 SSD's and 1TB HDD and it works fine now. I first started by just plugging in CPU and RAM and the PC started up just fine. Then I plugged in the GPU and it worked fine, but as soon as I would try adding a cable from either the HDD or the SSD's the computer shut down...weird..so I decided to switch out those cables and it all started working fine...weird issue for me at least I did not even think to check the cables, maybe they were not compatible with my power supply because the old cables were from a previous psu??? I'm not sure, but definitely happy it all works. Left it on for a whole day and even put a load on the cpu and it all checked out fine. 

Thanks for the help though guys, I do appreciate it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users