Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from USB - Grub Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:45 AM

Acer Aspire 5349 laptop running

Windows 7

6gb ram

rest is stock

My HDD Failed and stopped booting, i was getting "No boot device found" when i woke up in the morning but then i'd reboot and it was fine, one day it wasn't fine and stopped booting. Now if i let it try and boot after post i can hear it working hard but it just goes to black.

I've had problems with this HDD before so my plan was to boot to a recuse USB, backup my data and then reinstall windows but I can't get any USB to boot.

I've made a Kaspersky and a Gparted USB and both give me "Grub Error symbol grub isprint not found"

then goes into rescue mode.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I have zero clue as to what to do, this has always worked in the past. 

Edit: So i tried to make a windows install usb and now it just goes to what looks like a full screen command prompt with the under score blinking.

Edited by Naming Is Hard, 14 June 2015 - 05:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:16 AM

So, the Kaspersky and GParted USB drives can both successfully enter Rescue Mode?  It's just that there's an error before they do it?

If that's the case, then it's likely that this is a bug in GRUB:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Grub+Error+symbol+grub+isprint+not+found&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If that's not the case, then try the bootable MemTest86+ USB (free from here:  http://www.memtest.org/#downiso )

If that works, then the system appears OK (and I'd have to wonder about the Kaspersky and GParted USB drives)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

If you have a Windows 7 or 8 computer available download and run Aoemi PE builder. This will create a bootable USB flash drive and you will not have to worry about GRUB. It will create a minimal WIndows 7 OS with explorer. The PE builder gives you the option to create a bootable DVD or USB.

What did you use to create the bootable USB. I never had an issue with Rufus. It allows booting on a UEFI computer. Try that and see if you can boot Kaspersky. For a Rescue Disk you can either use Aoemi or Parted Magic. Parted Magic includes GSmartcontrol, a disk diagnostic utility.

Aoemi Desktop

Desktop.png

A video on Aoemi PE builder

#4 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll try what you guys suggested, It's now acting like the USB isn't bootable and going straight to the HDD even if i choose the USB, there are surprising few options to make bootable USB's on mac and a lot of times don't work.

Im going to try and get ahold of a windows machine and see if that works. Thanks again.

#5 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

So i tried PE builder on two different USB sticks and for both it loads to the windows logo, flashes a few times then goes to a blue screen that says Application could not start, from okay to continue, but theres no okay button i just have to restart.\

Update: I made a windows 7 install USB and got it to work but i need the other things won't work so i can backup my data

Edited by Naming Is Hard, 15 June 2015 - 07:20 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

Try Rufus with Parted Magic. If you cannot get Parted Magic to work then try Puppy Linux. If that fails then you would need to remove the hard drive and attach it to another computer with a external enclosure or USB adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users