Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway GoBack

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

I have Windows 98SE. Is there an install file for it? I know it's included in an OEM install of Windows, so I was wondering if there was an installer for it on the cd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:36 PM

Hi K of D -

I found the other way around when I purchased my early computers.

Even if 98 was installed, I always got a CD with it for back-up. Going into my CDs there was one I called the Red CD of Death.

This was because it always wanted to reinstall the original version, and meant a call to M/soft to re-register it again.

As I have over 30 active CDs, from that one up to a Genuine Windows 7 DVD reinstall from Toshiba, I can not find it in 5 minutes, but it is there.

I know because I restacked a pile 2 weeks ago, while looking for a Win 7 game to run on Windows 8

(I installed it, then put the CD down somewhere) Trouble is I need it to play the game ............

But your answer is YES , Win 98 install CDs were usually given with the computer.....

Regards -

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:04 PM

Actually I just located it -

Labeled Aptiva Product Recovery and Diagnostics and my notation of The Red CD (since the CD was Red).

It was dated around 1999, and meant as a Recovery or Diagnostic CD (but I always hit Recovery, and wiped everything.

In those days it did not matter, as the computers were just toys, and I never installed much more than games and kept a few Drawings.

I mostly used that computer to play on, or do drawings etc for small carpentry jobs.

But it is a place in my computer history that I would not like to lose .......

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

Preferably, if someone could locate an installer for it, that would be good. I can't seem to find it on the disk.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hi Again -

Seems to be a Genuine Free .iso setup

This one includes several editions and languages

There are also M/soft links, but as usual they are confusing to use and find exactly what you want.

I just entered Windows 98 Installer into Google, and was presented with dozens of these sites.

Hope these are what you want (or guide you)

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

I already have Windows 98 installed. Right now I just need the GoBack program.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

Hi -

I found this link to =>> GatewayGoback program.

I did not quite understand that this did exist in the form that it has, and I was just giving you a basicinstall program each time -

Hope this is better..

#8 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:17 PM

So it seems there is an installer on disk 3 of the System Restoration Kit. Of course, I can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere.

#9 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

I found an update for it here: ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/gw-sold_apps/goback/

Not sure if it requires GoBack to already be installed...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

I already have Windows 98 installed. Right now I just need the GoBack program.

Well, that looks like a proprietary version of the original GoBack. 

The actual original GoBack was first invented by Wild File, and then Norton bought them out.  You can still go to Amazon and buy it.  The better thing is to get not Roxio's but Norton's 2006 version, because it has other utilities which greatly aid your Win98 PC.  I rescued my first Win98 machine using that package, it was a godsend.  The machine had been trashed by its prior owner, botched Win98 upgrade from 95, and the first week of April 2000, THAT year's version of the package, I used to make the machine work. Good thing, too, or the poor guy would have suffered identity theft.  He didn't know how to wipe the machine before trashing it.  Great book in there by Peter Norton on how Windows works.  Very helpful, and I was a newbie to Windows then.

Still have it to this day.  I also have the standalone GoBack's listed in the Amazon link.  Might go buy some more, now.

I use that with all my Win98 machines.  Every one of them has it installed.  Activation shouldn't be a problem because the installer's Symantec link is so out of date.  You'd be offline anyway, right?  I installed GoBack to two newly-installed XP machines three weeks ago and didn't have to call anyone.

Edited by brainout, 27 June 2015 - 04:51 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

I found an update for it here: ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/gw-sold_apps/goback/

Not sure if it requires GoBack to already be installed...

It requires a ftp log in.

#12 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

Sorry about that.

Username: esupport

Password: vImvF88

Looks like this is the full installer, but it has a CD check :(

This file should be used only after the original version of GoBack has been uninstalled. This will install Gateway GoBack that is compatible with Windows Millennium Edition.

Installation

1. On your screen, locate and double-click the 9508067.exe file that you have downloaded.
2. The files are extracted to C:\cabs\9508067. Double-click the 9508067.exe file in the C:\cabs\9508067 folder.
3. The Winzip self extractor appears on the screen for a brief while and then the GoBack dialog box appears.
4. In the GoBack dialog box, click OK to continue installation of GoBack.
5. A GoBack Setup dialog box appears prompting to view the README file. Reviewing the Readme.txt file before installation is recommended. Click Yes to read the file or click No to begin the installation.
6. In the GoBack Setup Wizard - Welcome dialog box, click Yes, I agree with the terms of the agreement, and then click Next.
7. A GoBack Setup dialog box appears prompting to insert the original GoBack CD into the CD-ROM drive. Place the CD containing the original GoBack, such as the Restoration CD, into the CD-ROM drive, wait a couple seconds for the CD to spin up, and then click OK.
8. In the GoBack Setup Wizard - Registration dialog box, complete the requested information, and then click Next.
9. In the GoBack Setup Wizard - Installation Type dialog box, click Easy Install, and then click Next.
10. In the GoBack Setup Wizard - Summary dialog box, click Finish.
11. The software installs, and creates a data file on your hard disk. This takes a few minutes to complete. Please wait.
12. In the GoBack Setup dialog box, click Yes to have the shortcut added.
13. In the GoBack Setup dialog box, click OK to restart your computer.

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 29 June 2015 - 06:58 PM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

Well, if you don't have the GATEWAY version of the CD, then that download will never run.  Must you have the Gateway version?  For the version of Goback you probably need is either Norton's early GoBack or Wildfile's (the originator of GoBack, Norton bought them out then Symantec bought out Norton).  I use them on my Win98s;  won't run the computers without GoBack, it's a genius product.

I have the original Wildfile GoBack, extra unused copies of Norton GoBack for Win98, too.  But I don't think it is legal for me to upload it to my domain for you.  Why can't you just buy one?

I tried Googling, but can't find the right version, though later versions will also work.  The original was by Wildfile.  I used it on my first Win98 machine.  Then came Norton who I guess maybe bought GoBack from Roxio, not Wildfile, because they call theirs, GoBack 4.0 (Roxio called it GoBack3).  Latest edition is Norton Systemworks 2006, which contains GoBack (I still use that today on my WinXPs), works on XP backwards.

So why can't you get any of those?  Prices are as low as $3 at Amazon

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users